Chapter 39

Arthur's eyes widened in shock as he listened to the words spoken by the young captain who had a dejected expression on his face.

"What are you saying, Lucas?" he asked, not believing his ears.

"I would like to resign after the war, Your Majesty..."

"But... Why is that? I know very well that you're going to resume your position as emperor of your own empire... But... I intended to merge our two empires as I did with your father... That way you can still stay as a captain of the Imperial Army since I'm a bit old for that and I don't have a male heir... I also thought you intended to marry-"

"Luana hates me, Your Majesty," the young man said bitterly.

"But why? What happened between you two? Not even a few days ago, you were so close to each other," the emperor wondered.

"Luana found out the truth about my identity... I was stupid enough to leave her clues about my family that she eventually found out the truth... But god knows I meant to confess all to her... It's just that... It's really not the time to do so... I wanted this war to end... To take back my status as a prince and ask her officially for her hand in marriage... But now, she hates me more than anything..."

"But how do you know that? Who knows? Maybe she doesn't feel the way you're saying she does," Arthur reassured.

"I heard her talking with her friends, earlier. She made it clear that she didn't want to see me or hear my voice anymore..." he replied, whispering with a hurt voice.

Arthur rose from his chair and walked over to the young knight and patted his shoulder comfortingly, smiling slightly at him.

"It's normal, My Son... She's just hurt... She must have said that in a moment of anger... Everything will be fine after that, believe me..."

"I don't think so, Your Majesty... She's far too angry to forgive me..."

Arthur stayed silent for a moment, deep in thought. Suddenly, he had an idea that crossed his mind.

"Leave that to me," he declared, smiling affectionately at him.

══════ ∘◦❁◦∘ ══════

Luana took a quick bath and changed into a new nightgown. She sat down in front of her mirror to brush her hair before going to sleep.

A few minutes later, someone knocked on her door which surprised her.

"Come in," she ordered.

It was Agnès, her maid who entered the room before bowing to her.

"Good evening, Your Highness. Sorry to bother you in the middle of the night," she apologized.

"It's okay, Agnès. What is it?" Luana asked, very confused.

"His Majesty has ordered me to inform you that he is waiting for you near the Rose Garden. He wants to speak to you urgently," she replied.

Luana stayed silent for a moment, deep in thought, before nodding slowly.

"Okay, Agnes. Help me get dressed quickly, please," she said, standing up.

"Understood, Your Highness."

══════ ∘◦❁◦∘ ══════

The young girl was dressed in a burgundy velvet dress with long, slightly puffy sleeves and a pair of low-heeled, brown, ankle boots. She had left her long wavy hair free.

She walked slowly, all alone towards the garden with her black cape which covered her shoulders from the freezing cold air of winter.

Once she arrived at the meeting place, she was surprised to see another person instead of her father. Lucas Koraxos stood there with Leo and Lea by his side while stroking their heads.