Chapter 27

Three days later, the emperor gathered all his loyal friends and servants in the great hall. They all sat around the table with Arthur at the end. He had his fingers intertwined under his chin, his elbows on the table, deep in thought.

"My friends, it looks like the situation is getting very serious. It's even getting out of control," he declared gravely.

"What's going on, Dad?" asked the young princess who was on his left, confused.

"Mercenaries have attacked the city of Avigona. They're spreading terror there by robbing and killing people even in broad daylight," replied Angus who was seated to the Emperor's right.

"Mercenaries?" she wondered.

"Yes. And the worst part is that it's not a small group but a big army," Edgar replied.

"That's really awful," she added, horrified.

"An army of mercenaries... I really don't understand where they come from and what they're trying to do..." Lucas replied thoughtfully.

"We don't even know if they have anything to do with the Grand Master and his organization... I have no information about them at all..." Elion said.

"I think they want to wreak havoc on the empire. Starting with Lemgan and then Avigona. Otherwise, I can't see any other good reason," Matthew replied.

"But why do such a thing? Auvrovaria has always been a healthy and peaceful place to live. Why are they trying to ruin this?" Angus added in astonishment.

"Maybe they're looking for something. That's very possible too," Eric suggested.

"Looking for what exactly?" Lucas retorted, confused.

"I don't know... But I just feel like that's it..."

"In two days, those damned mercenaries have already caused a lot of damage. We can't let them do this for too long. If we don't act now, the situation might become too difficult for us," Arthur declared.

"I agree with you, Your Majesty," Eric replied.

"What should we do, then? What's our plan?" Edgar asked.

"We have to eliminate them," the emperor answered with determination.

"Allow me, Your Majesty, to undertake this mission. I will go with Sir Carter and some Imperial Knights to take care of it," suggested the young Sir Lobelia.

"Yes, Your Majesty. Since Sir Koraxos has just returned from his mission, it is best that we go instead," Matthew added.

After a short moment of reflection, the emperor nodded affirmatively.

"I agree with you. I entrust you with this mission, then. When would you be ready to go?"

"I think we'll have enough time to prepare everything before tomorrow morning. Better to leave as soon as possible," Eric replied.

"I agree with you. Many innocent lives depend on you now," Edgar asserted.

"Excellent. So you'll be going to Avigona tomorrow morning," Arthur declared as he stood up, followed by everyone.

══════ ∘◦❁◦∘ ══════

After dinner, Luana went to the palace library. She was dressed in a small white shirt and dark green pants with a pair of brown boots.

Arriving there, the place was completely deserted as everyone had gone to bed to rest from their hard day and get ready for the next one.

The young princess stood in front of the shelves which were lit with small lanterns to read the titles on the spine of each book.