Chapter 23

The snowstorm became so strong that it became almost impossible to see. The weather was extremely cold to the point where someone could freeze just from staying outside for a few hours.

Lucas was advancing slowly with his horse because of the strong wind blowing against the direction they were moving to. The young knight glanced at the unconscious girl that laid beside him on her horse. Her breathing was very slow and unsteady.

'If we keep going like this, she'll be dead before we can even get to the city gate,' he thought bitterly.

Suddenly, Lucas' horse began whinnying loudly which puzzled its master.

"What is it, Evan ? What's wrong with you ?"

The horse turned its head towards Piper and nodded. The two horses began galloping gently together towards another direction than the one that leads towards Lemgan.

"Evan ?! What are you doing right now ?! This is the wrong way ! This is really not the time to play ! The princess is going to die ! We have to go to the city to look for a doctor ! Come on !" Lucas exclaimed angrily, pulling hard on the reins.

The horse did not listen to its master and continued to advance quickly which made its master give up on trying to control it.

══════ ∘◦❁◦∘ ══════

A few minutes later, they found themselves on a beautiful clearing where there was a small river. The ground was completely covered with snow there.

A few meters away from them was a small cottage with a pretty garden with small bushes at the entrance. There was some light coming from the windows and smoke from the top of the chimney. The place was inhabited.

"So, that's where you wanted to take me," Lucas whispered to his horse.

He dismounted the animal and approached the house.

"Wait for me here. I'll be back."

The young captain entered the small garden and walked towards the front door before knocking on it loudly.

"Hello ?! Is anyone there ?!" he called out.

He got no response.

"Please ! Is anyone here ?!"

"I'm coming !" a male voice answered from the other side.

A few seconds later, an old man in his sixties opened the door. He was very tall with a large build. He had pale skin, short gray hair and light blue eyes.

"Can I help you ?" he asked, getting on his guard.

"Please, Sir ! There's an injured woman with me ! She was poisoned with a needle ! Please allow me to leave her here while I fetch a doctor in town ! If she stays outside too long, she might die from the cold..." the young man begged.

"Oh my god ! Bring her inside, My Son ! Hurry up !" exclaimed the old man, opening the door completely for him.

"Thank you ! Thank you so much, Sir !" answered Lucas before returning to the horses.

The old man turned his head around to look inside the house.

"Sofia ! Honey ! Prepare some warm blankets for the guest room ! There's an injured girl that needs our help !" he ordered his wife.

Lucas carried Luana in his arms gently and ushered her into the house.

Arrived in the guest room, he saw an old lady who was preparing blankets and pillows on the bed.

She was slightly tall and slim. She had pale skin, straight long brow hair with a few gray streaks, and brown eyes.

She turned around to look at the young man. Her facial expression exuded a lot of warmth and affection.