🌞Waking Up In New Orleans

"Nuelle!! Wake Up its 7am on a Monday morning, we are going somewhere remember" My mom yelled  at me.

I am Nuelle Kalio, 17 year old Nigerian. Back In Nigeria I'm considered Light skinned but here in America I'm black. Up until two weeks ago, I was still living in my country Nigeria with my mom and little sister a very peaceful and average life I had just few months to graduate from secondary school (high school ) then boom! my mom came with the news of moving abroad and I don't have a say in this decision made by my mom.

Apparently, one of my mom's friend had secured a nursing job for her here in New Orleans so we had to move. Don't get me wrong  I'm happy to move but I wasn't given enough time to prepare and properly say goodbye to my friends. The whole moving thing was done in a  haste.

Back to reality, I can still  hear my mom's yelling voice outside my room door

"I'm already out of the bed ma" I shout back trying as much as possible to hide the annoyance in my voice. It's not like I have school to go I don't know why she woke me up so early its 7 fucking o'clock what am I suppose to do with myself.

I managed to drag my self out of bed, do my usual morning chores and have breakfast. It was 9 o'clock  by the time I was done.

"Nuelle remember we are going to meet  Mrs Morgan, the woman that is going to  give you a part time job we are leaving by 10AM  so please get ready as fast as you can" my lovely mother said.

Who gives a 17 year old an hour to dress up I mean 🤷‍♀️ I need at least two hours, I'm a girl for goodness sake 🙄
But I can't say that to my mom that is, if I want my legs to function properly in the next few minutes. Yeah, African mothers don't take nonsense they treat your fuck ups immediately lol.

After having my bath I move to my closet to look for what to wear, this usually takes most of my time as I'm indecisive as fuck when it come to what to wear. After some minutes, I decide on a black puffy short hand crop top,  a black and white button down short jean skirt and a black shiny leather knee boot. If I'm going to a fashion house, I should  at least look the part. For an African I had a really long curly hair so I stretch my dark  hair and let it fall on my shoulders then proceeded to applying a little makeup and was done.

"Mom can we start going? I'm done dressing"  I call after my mom.

 "Okay, let me grab my keys" she said.

After driving for like 15 minutes, we drove into this very big building that was mostly made of glass.
When we walk into  the reception I am amaze  by what I'm seeing like what the hell! This place is fucking amazing.

I'm still caught up in my excitement and didn't even notice when my mom walks up to the receptionist to ask about our appointment with Mrs Morgan.

"Nuelle let's go!" my mom says snapping me back to reality.

The Mrs Morgan I'm looking at is way far from what I thought she will  look like. I was expecting to see an old, saggy, wrinkled, skinned woman in her late 40s, even older but standing before me is a very beautiful  young woman not more than 25 years old with her dirty blond hair and hazel eyes looking effortlessly beautiful. How did she do it?, she's the director of this place and she's my new role model. I want to be like her.

 I want to be like her