Chapter Eleven

Outside of the temple, Appa, Aang and the lemur stand looking out over the abandoned temple. Contemplating what the empty temple means for them. More so Aang. He lets out a breath and looks at the lemur.

"You, me, and Appa. We're all that's left of this place. We have to stick together" He tells them and then turns. "Rana, Katara, Sokka.....Wartortle..." Aang starts and gives Sokka a look, his mouth stuffed full of fruit given to him by the lemur. "Say hello to the newest member of our family" Aang approaches them both, the lemur on his arm.

"What are you going to name him?" Rana asks, Aang looks at her and then shrugs before smiling.

"Momo" He answers softly. Sokka is poised to bite into a piece of fruit when it is no longer there but in Momo's hand. Aang and Katara begin to laugh, Rana smirks a little and then joins in.

.........

Rana is tightening a saddle on Noivern who seems to stand up taller with his new adornment, proud of it and Wartortle who sits with him. Evolving means they are growing. Getting stronger. Forming a deeper bond with Rana. That she is on the right path. Even Rana herself has to admit that it's a good feeling. Knowing she's doing something right in this mess.

"Rockruff" Rana turns to Rockruff who yawns and then nudges Rana's hand, she looks at her and raises an eyebrow. She barks at the crystal around Rana's neck.

"You want to go in the ball?" She asks sadly, she doesn't want to put them in there in case they don't like it. She unclips the ball from her chain and then holds it out. "Are you sure?" She whispers, Rockruff barks and presses her nose to the ball then disappears. Rana lets out a breath and looks down at the ball. She sighs and then reattaches it to the chain around her neck. She's not going to read into that too much.

"Looking good, Noi" Sokka teases as he passes. Noivern murmurs in agreement and then lowers himself to allow Rana to climb up onto his back.

"Wartotle?" Wartortle asks already moving to join her.

"No, you can ride with Aang and the others on Appa" Rana answers. "Just till Noi is used to the saddle..."

"Wartortle" He grumbles and walks away, following Aang who smiles down at him. Aang, Sokka, Katara, and now their extra pet lemur head to Appa, each climbing up to get ready for flight. Vulpix curls up in Katara's lap as Wartortle joins them, dropping into a sit with a pout. Rana leans forward on Noivern's back and smirks.

"Ready, Noi?" She whispers in anticipation.

"Noivern" Noivern agrees and readies himself before pushing up, wings flapping as he goes. This is better. The saddle and reins help immensely. Both feel safer. Rana feels more in control. Manoeuvrers will be easier as well. The saddle was a good idea.

............

Zuko and Iroh return to Zuko ship, ready to get back to their search for the Avatar. And now that Zhao has an interest in the girl, so does he. She has to be important, otherwise why the fuss? They pass through a room, usually used by Iroh for his afternoon tea and his Pai Sho games. Iroh moves to his little tea caddy on the side, turning only slightly to watch Zuko before he sighs.

"Wait, wait, wait" Iroh scolds Zuko as he sets a teapot over a fire to boil away.

"Uncle" Zuko starts to argue but a look from the older man stops him.

"Sit," Iroh tells Zuko who sighs and then sinks into the chair behind him. "You should know that this is more than just about the Avatar for Commander Zhao" Iroh glances at Zuko. "It's personal for him" Iroh offers, Zuko scoffs and rolls his eyes.

"It's personal for me too" He argues, Iroh nods a little but then shrugs.

"Some would argue more for him" Iroh comments.

"Why?" Zuko inquires, Iroh takes the little teapot from the fire.

"The girl" Iroh starts. "She's a vastaya, the last vastaya....and she also happens to be Zhao's adopted daughter. Rana" Iroh comments as he pours them both a cup of tea. Zuko turns a confused look on him. The way Iroh said that implied that Zuko is supposed to know who that is.

"Who?" Zuko asks, Iroh turns to him and frowns.

"You don't remember her?" He counters, Zuko shakes his head. "I am surprised...You two were inseparable as children, whenever Zhao brought her to the palace, there you two were" Zuko frowns harder, confused. "Running around...causing mayhem"

"Mayhem?" Zuko asks a little amused at the thought that he ever caused any form of mayhem, Iroh nods.

"Setting fire to the drapes, stealing from the kitchens, defacing your grandfather's portrait, that was inspired I must say," Zuko raises an eyebrow. "She was a wild girl, always getting you both into trouble...So wonderfully spirited" Iroh offers fondly. Zuko scoffs a little.

"If we were so close, why don't I remember her?" Iroh turns to him. "What?" Zuko asks noting the look in his eyes. Iroh lets out a sad breath. He doesn't know himself. Not fully. He knows there was talk of Zuko and Rana being promised to one another, married one day, likely the day they both turned 18, a way for Zhao to move up through the ranks faster and for Ozai to have a trusted general at his side. But then something changed. Rana never returned with her father and Zuko lost out on a very good influence in his life.

"Time passes and your memory fades..." Iroh tells Zuko who then looks away from him, fingers digging into the arm of his chair. He doesn't understand. If she was so important to him, why would he ever allow himself to forget her? He stands from his seat and walks away. Ignoring his uncle's calls. Zuko knows he didn't completely forget her.

.......

Zuko pulls a locked box from under his desk on the ship and sets it up onto the top of it. his fingers tracing the engravings and design on it. This is for his private things. Personal things he doesn't want other people to know about. Things he cherishes really. Attachments. He pulls a key from the belt of his robes, using it to open the box. He lifts the lid and rummages through the items inside. Most seem insignificant. Bits and pieces from balls of string to a jade fox pin before he settles on a rolled-up piece of paper. He rolls it out onto the desk to look at it. It's a charcoal sketch of a younger version of Rana, but it is unmistakably her. Zuko lets out a breath and touches the sketch. He thought it all in his head. His memories of the girl with furry ears and a tail, he assumed it was something his imagination cooked up to deal with his loneliness after reading about the vastaya. A way to cope with having no friends. But she was real and it was her that was here. Standing on his ship. His friend. He grabs the paper in his hand and scrunches it up before throwing it aside. A traitor.