Chapter Ninety-Four

Zuko, now out of his uniform and entirely dressed instead in plain grey clothes, though a small patch of white can be seen close to his chest. A sling holding a pokemon egg to him. He'd found it whilst taking a look around the ship. Well, by snooping around the ship. Zhao must have decided to keep it with him following Rana's attack and liberation of the last egg. Zuko couldn't leave it behind. He prepares a canoe to be lowered into the water. Behind him, a door opens to reveal Iroh entering with Eevee and Houndour. He shuts the door behind them.

"If you're fishing for an octopus, my nephew, you need a tightly woven net or he will squeeze through the tiniest hole and escape"

"I don't need your wisdom right now, Uncle" Zuko argues.

"I'm sorry, I just nag you because, well, ever since I lost my son..." Iroh looks away, pain evident on his face.

"Uncle, you don't have to say it" Zuko tries to stop him.

"I think of you as my own" Zuko turns to him, a genuine look of concern and understanding on his face.

"I know, Uncle" Zuko bows and salutes him with his arm over chest. "We'll meet again..." Iroh rushes forward and gives him a bear hug, careful of the egg against his chest. Zuko releases him first and walks over to the canoe. "...after I have saved Rana" He gets into the canoe and begins to lower it to the water.

"Remember your Breathe of Fire! It could save your life out there!"

"I will" Zuko assures him.

"And put your hood up, keep your ears warm!" Iroh shouts after him.

"Eevee!" Eevee shouts too, Zuko looks at her.

"I'll be fine" Zuko assures them all. He can't take the pokemon with him, it's too cold out here for them. The egg he knows is an ice type, the snowflakes on it give it away. He assumes that means it will be okay with the cold.

............

Rana double checks Noivern's saddle, her eyes on the moon above them. They can use the darkness to find Zhao's ship and then board. If she can get close enough to him. She can kill him. They'll scramble to reorganise themselves, to find the next leader. It will buy them some time.

"Stay with Katara and Piplup," She tells Wartortle who nods. She's wishing she found her ice pokemon by now. That would have come in handy. But alas, it is the only one she doesn't have yet. She has to make do without it.

..........

Zuko is navigating his canoe through the ice flows near the City. He is wrapped up in his grey garb. Nearby, turtle seals can be heard making noise. He floats silently near the damaged city wall, unseen by the sentries patrolling atop the damaged barrier. He beaches the craft on the ice near the wall and spies several turtle seals disappearing into a hole in the ice.

"Where are they going? They're coming up for air somewhere..." He takes off his veil, takes a deep breath and plunges into the icy water. Above the hole, Noivern's figure is flying overhead, heading towards the Fire Nation ships and up into the clouds for cover.

.............

Katara, Yue, and Aang are walking through a courtyard behind the citadel. Yue stops in front of a wooden half-height door.

"So is this the way to the Spirit World?" Aang asks. Yue laughs.

"No, you'll have to get there on your own" She answers and then opens the door. "But I can take you to the most spiritual place in the entire North Pole." Aang enters as Momo jumps off his shoulder and onto Katara. Inside there is a long pool of water. At the back of the chamber is a waterfall coming from the glacier way above. On the sides of the pool are two ledges by which one can access the landing at the back of the chamber. The landing is filled with green foliage, another smaller pool that looks almost tropical in nature, and a small t shaped gate-like structure very much akin to a Chinese paifang or perhaps a Japanese torii. The landing is connected to the ledges on the side of the chamber by two wooden footbridges. Aang then runs over the left bridge, laughing. He lands on the soft grass in front of the little pond. He rubs it fondly.

"I never thought I'd miss grass this much!" He flops over on his back as Yue and Katara walk onto the landing themselves.

"It's so warm here! How is that possible?" Katara asks as she takes off her overcoat.

"It's the centre of all spiritual energy in our land" Yue explains. Momo skitters up to the pond and begins to try and grab the fish inside. Yue and Katara look severely at Momo, who decides to run away.

"You're right, Yue. I can feel...something...it's so...tranquil" Aang offers as he then sits cross-legged in front of the pond. He closes his eyes, makes two fists and puts his knuckles together in an attempt to meditate.

......

Zuko breaches the surface, out of breath and cold, to find himself in a dark cave filled with turtle seals. Zuko flops onto the ice floor of the cave, his breath making clouds of water vapour in front of him. He flips over, shivers, and blows fire into his hands to warm him up. He gets up and glares at the turtle seals.

"Be quiet!" They stop barking as he walks by, but begin once he passes. Zuko approaches a waterfall at the back of the cave. He enters the tunnel where the water is coming out.