Chapter Forty-Seven

The group is still at the Fire Nation camp, the central fire is out, and members of Jet's freedom fighters are near it, checking weapons or investigating supply crates. The freedom fighters appear to be giving Rana a wide berth, she assumes that's because she was fire-bending and that would instantly be a red flag to those fighting against the Fire Nation. Sokka watches as Smellerbee passes him with an armful of staves. Jet is reclining against the trunk of a tree on the perimeter of the camp when Katara approaches him.

"Um...thanks for saving us, Jet," Katara tells him. "We were lucky you were there"

"I should be thanking you" Jet counters. "We were waiting to ambush those soldiers all morning......we just needed the right distraction. And then you guys stumbled in"

"We were relying on instincts" Katara counters, clearly attempting to flirt with him.

"You'll get yourself killed doing that" Jet points out. Sokka is close enough to hear the conversation, he closes his eyes in frustration at his bad call and walks away. Behind him, Pipsqueak and the Duke investigate the inside of a barrel next to one of the pavilion tents. The Duke reaches in and pulls away a finger coated with green goo. He sniffs it experimentally.

"Hey, Jet, these barrels are filled with blasting jelly"

"That's a great score" Jet offers as he moves closer to look into the barrel. Pipsqueak holds up a large crate.

"And these boxes are filled with jelly candy!" Pipsqueak tells Jet who nods.

"Also good. Let's not get those mixed up." Aang and Momo watch Pipsqueak, the Duke and Sneers loading up a four-wheeled wagon.

"We'll take the stuff back to the hideout" Pipsqueak offers.

"You guys have a hideout?" Aang asks Jet.

"You wanna see it?" Jet counters and Katara literally slides up to him, her hands are clasped together; she's practically begging.

"Yes, we wanna see it!" She assures him, Jet looks at her, his brow softens, but his self-assured smile never wavers.

.........

Rana follows the group through the forest. Sokka grumpily sulking at her side. He clearly doesn't like being upstaged by strangers, and then for his baby sister to decide to cosy up to him. Even Rana has to admit that Katara is being a little obvious in her affections. She also doesn't like this whole set-up. Something about it is sending warning signals down her spine and into her gut. She feels like they should leave. Her fingers twitch at her side, wanting to reach for her sword. In front, Jet has stopped, which causes the whole travelling group to stop.

"We're here" Jet offers the group, Sokka frowns and looks around at the forest, just as it is. There is nothing here that is remotely like a 'hideout'.

"Where...there's nothing here!" He voices.

"Hold this" Jet hands Sokka a rope with a loop on the end. The other end is somewhere above them.

"Why...what's this do?" The loop ends up around Sokka's wrist. Without warning, he is pulled up by his arm into a nearby tree canopy. As a final insult, Sokka gets momentarily stuck in the leafy branches before he disappears. "Woah!" Jet turns to Rana and looks over her outfit, clenching his jaw.

"The fire-bender can camp down here" He comments, and there is a tone to his voice. She can see that he didn't attack, simply because she stood against the Fire Nation soldiers.

"She's not a fire-bender" Aang argues, moving to Rana's side. "Well, I mean, yeah, technically, but...she's not with them..."

"It's fine" Rana stops Aang as takes a step back. "I think I'd rather be down here anyway" She turns and heads back into the trees. Aang and Katara share a look. Jet turns the rope to Aang and Momo.