Chapter Sixty-Seven

Zuko finally manages to sit up just outside of the hour, just as June had told them. In that hour, he had time to ponder, to think, to really contemplate how his life led him here. Iroh is sat at his bedside, concerned. Zuko gives him a look and then catches Eevee as she jumps at him.

"I'm fine" Zuko assures her as she snuggles into his chest, Zuko's arms around her. Iroh stands and moves to Zuko's desk where the Elemental tome lays open on a page about Eevee, there is also one of the trinket boxes that Iroh picked out as a 'courting' gift, alongside a number of other things, whether Zuko took Iroh advice he doesn't know but he is at least subconsciously thinking about it, at least. Iroh eyes then fall on one of Zhao older wanted posters with both Rana and Aang's faces on.

"Zhao's determined," Iroh tells him. "I'll give him that" Zuko moves but it sends an aching pain down his spine, he touches the back of his neck with a pained groan. That hurt a lot more than he thought it would. "What are you going to do?" Iroh asks, watching his nephew, studying him. What he does now will show Iroh just how much he has or hasn't changed. To see where Zuko's true heart and loyalty lies. Zuko stares down at Houndour sat at the side of his bed, the hound stares back at him.

"Ready the rhinos," He asks of Iroh who lets out a proud and relieved breath before he moves closer to Zuko.

"It is okay to admit that you care for the girl...you know, I think it might even make things easier for you once you do" Iroh offers, Zuko glances at him. "Two years ago, when we left the capitol, you were a very different person, who you are now...that person can forge his own path...make his own choices...." He adds and then leaves. Zuko closes his eyes and lets out a breath. Choosing is the hard part. It was never a problem before she came back into his life. He follows his head. Logic. Orders. Conformity. But she's brought out something in him. A desire for something more than...what he has. A disregard for his honour. A disregard for his father's approval. A childhood of control and forced morals. Iroh is right. He is an adult now. He's eighteen years old. He can make his own choices. Follow his own path. But right now, all he knows is that he needs to get to Rana before that woman does. Zuko moves to the desk and closes Rana's tome, touching the cover before he looks over the other items there. Eevee jumps up onto the table and watches his face before she shifts, using her head to nudge something towards him.

..........

Sokka is the only one awake around the campfire set up in front of the water tribe boat that they had found. Rana is curled around her tail, hugging it to her chest. Sokka watches her amused as she rubs her cheek against the fur, twitching away to whatever it is that she dreams about. Ninetails curled up at her feet, doing the exact same thing with her own tail. Sokka snorts and looks down at the fire before hearing a sound and standing up.

"Who's there?" He asks and then sees a bandaged water tribe man approaching the camp.

"Sokka?"

"Bato?" Sokka asks just as surprised. Aang, Katara, and Rana wake.

"Who the what now?" Aang asks.

"Bato!" Katara cheers in greeting. She and Sokka jump up and move to Bato.

"Sokka! Katara!" Bato hugs them both. "It is so good to see you two! Oh, you've grown so much"

"Where's Dad?" Sokka asks.

"Is he here?" Katara asks, hopeful.

"No, he and the other warriors should be in the eastern Earth Kingdom by now" Bato offers just as the wind picks up and they all shiver. "Brr! This is no place for a reunion. Let's get inside" He puts his arms around Katara and Sokka's shoulder and motions Aang and Rana to follow, the two of them share a look before she shrugs and follows after them.

......

Bato leads them towards some form of a monastery. Rana's spine tickling with recognition, but she can't remember why. Why she finds this place familiar. She frowns and looks around. This whole place has a vibe to it. She pauses and frowns, staring at the arch gate. There is really something about this place. Like she's been here before. She turns and looks back the way they came.

"After I was wounded, your father carried me to this abbey" Bato offers. "The sisters have cared for me ever since" He turns to one of the nearby women. "Superior, these are Hakoda's children. They've been travelling with the Avatar and the True Elemental. I found them by my boat" Aang turns to smile at Rana, but she's not behind them. The Superior bows to Aang.

"Young Avatar, it gives me great joy to be in your presence. Welcome to our abbey"

"Thank you" Aang turns back to her and bows back. "It's truly an honour to be here. If there's anything..."

"What smells so good, Bato?" Sokka interrupts Aang as he sniffs the air.

"The sisters' craft ointments and perfumes" Bato answers.

"Perfume? Maybe we could dump some on Appa? Because he stinks so much! Am I right?" Sokka teases but Bato and Katara aren't amused.

"You have your father's wit" Bato comments dryly.

.......

Aang approaches Rana at the gate, watching her with concern. Aunt Wu's warning is still right there in his head. She seems distracted. Her eyes glazed over as she looks up at the gate. Thinking about it. Searching her memories for it.

"Rana?" Aang asks as Ninetails brushes up against her side. "Are you okay?"

"I think I've been here before" She admits. "But I can't remember...." She frowns at the arch. "I think I was small..." She lets out a breath and shakes her head.

"You think Zhao brought you here?" Aang asks, she shakes her head.

"No, it wasn't with Zhao" She answers and looks at him. "It doesn't matter" She moves to him and then continues on into the monastery. Aang watches her go before he catches up with her. Ninetails trailing along behind them.