Chapter Thirty-Three

It's silent. Except for Zuko and Rana's heavy breathing as they hide in a tiny alcove against the wall, and it really is a tiny space, a tight squeeze. The two of them pressed up against the walls and one another, wedged into the space to hide. To catch their breath. Zuko has no idea what he's just done. He really betrayed the Fire Nation and one of its commanders for this girl. He looks down at her as she huffs and breaths and tries to catch her breath. Blood leaking down the side of her neck from where Zhao cut her. A tear rolls down her cheek before she can stop it. He reaches up and brushes it away for her, drawing his hand over her cheek to dry it. She looks up at him surprised by what he just did. More than clearing her tear, but that he actively went against a Fire Nation commander....for her. She doesn't know why he did it. Why he did that for her. His hand has found its way to her waist, holding her still, holding them both still. Listening for any sounds from Zhao and his men. They got lucky. Used the element of surprise to their advantage. It won't work a second time. She goes to move but he tightens his hand on her waist to stop her, she frowns at him. He shakes his head. She then goes to talk, to ask him why but he presses his free hand to her mouth and she gives him a glare. He stares at her. Her gaze softening when she takes note of something in his eyes. It's different. Different from when she was on his ship. He was always on edge. Waiting for her to escape. To make her move to attack. But something's changed in him. Something's changed between them and she can't work out what it is.

"Shhh" He whispers and then moves his hand around to her cheek before it drifts lower to her neck where she's bleeding. They both listen. But it's silent around them. Nothing. But she knows that isn't always a good thing. She needs to find Aang and the others. She needs to find Vulpix. She pushes against his chest and he groans as she tries to wiggle free. Unfortunately, all it does is dislodge them both from the alcove. They both fall from the hiding space, tumbling to the ground, Zuko catching himself over her, eyes bearing down into hers. The two of their faces are so close they can feel one another breathing. His nose is practically touching hers. There is something here. Something that passes between them. Heat rushes down his spine and he's never felt that before. It stirs something in him. He wonders if this is what his uncle was talking about. It's scorching. And all he wants to do is close that sliver of space between them. To kiss her. He's never wanted to kiss someone this badly before. To forge a physical connection. And the way she's got her fingers curled into his uniform tells him she's thinking the exact same thing. That whatever he is feeling, no matter how confusing, she feels the same. He shifts his weight, his thigh nudging at her leg beneath him, it pushes him closer to her.

"How touching" Zuko and Rana snap their heads around to find Zhou and his men watching them. "Childhood friends reunited" His tone indicates that he is not at all happy about this. Zuko turns his gaze, taking in the fact that they are outnumbered and surrounded. Whatever heat had been in his veins, has been doused. He changes, suddenly he's leaning over her to defend her. Zhao holds out Rana's sword, to mock her slightly. "Take them"

............

In another part of the temple, a Fire Sage, Shyu, who happens to be on the Avatar's side, unlike his other Sages, who have turned on the Avatar, following years of devotion, leads his fellow Fire Sages to the sanctuary's doors.

"Hurry! The Avatar has entered the sanctuary" Shyu states, alarmed, fanning the flames of worry in the other Sages.

"How did he get in?"

"I don't know. But look at the scorch marks and down there!" Shyu points to the space between the doors and the floor. A shadow, as if of two feet, moves back and forth.

"He's inside. Open the doors immediately before he contacts Avatar Roku" One of the Sages orders. Behind them, Aang is actually perched on the dragon's tail wrapped around the columns. He slowly inches his way to the floor, ready to run the minute the Fire Sages open the doors. The five Fire Sages drop into a fire-bending pose. They shoot five fire blasts into the lion's heads on the face of the door. Smoke appears around the door jambs. As the fire blasts work their way through the lock, the doors begin to creak and open slowly. The light from the interior of the sanctuary is initially blinding. As it begins to dissipate, the Fire Sages see a lone Momo inside the sanctuary. Momo sneezes and looks quizzically at the Fire Sages. "It's the Avatar's lemur! He must have crawled through the pipes! We've been tricked!" Momo suddenly leaps at the Fire Sage's face, knocking him down. Katara and Sokka jump from behind two columns and grab the two nearest Fire Sages. They pull the Fire Sages' clothes over their heads. Shyu grabs the last Fire Sage. All four Fire Sages are subdued.

"Now, Aang!" Shyu shouts just as Katara voices.

"Aang! Now's your chance!" Zhao steps out from behind a column, he has taken Aang prisoner. He is holding Aang's arms tightly behind his back, Rana's sword against his throat.

"The Avatar's coming with me" Zhao points out as his soldiers join him. One has Zuko restrained. Another has Rana. Both subdued. "I'm certain the Fire Lord will understand when you explain why you betrayed him," Zhao tells Shyu who lowers his head.

"Commander Zhao..."

"Three traitors, in one day, the Fire Lord will be pleased" Zhao comments. Rana glances at Zhao and Aang, then to Sokka and Katara, and then the open doors as they begin to close. They are running out of time. She throws her elbow back into the soldier who releases her with a grunt of surprise. She lunged at Zhao who turns, releasing Aang as he tries to deal with Rana's attack instead.

"Go!" Rana shouts at Aang, who then run towards the doors of the sanctuary which are beginning to close. Zhao turns, slashing at Rana with her own sword, she goes down onto her front. Zuko struggles against the soldier holding him. Aang banks left and jumps into the air to avoid a fire blast. He does several turns in mid-air. Aang uses the heads of two of the Fire Sages as stepping stones on his way to the doors. He sails through the doors just as they are closing. The doors shut and the locks grind. Katara and Sokka rush forward to check on Rana, only to be restrained by the Sages.

"No" Katara snaps. "Rana" She whispers staring down at her friend as blood seeps onto the tiles.