Chapter Nintey

Rana can't bring herself to leave the toasty little nest she's made herself. Mostly, she thinks it is to do with Pikachu and Ninetails that are keeping it warm. She's let the pokemon out for a while. Just to let them roam. Ninetails is a furnace and a fire-type and so decided to stay with Rana. She knows she should go. But the cold is so much more daunting than the Fire Nation. The hut flap opens and Aang walks in, propping his staff against the wall as he looks down at Rana.

"Really?" Aang asks her with a smile, she shrugs.

"I don't know if you know this" She starts. "Vastaya and the cold...no"

"Think that's just a you thing" He teases. "There are ice-bending Vastaya, remember" She grumbles and sits up a little. She softens and frowns, looking down.

"We have a problem, Aang" She offers, he cocks his head as he sits across from her. "I think the Fire Nation are on their way here" Aang leans forward to stare at her. "By that I mean...Zhao"

"No, no, I got that" Aang assures her and then lets out a breath. "We have to warn the chief...."

"They're not going to believe me without proof" She argues. "And my proof is..spirit dream with the Fire Lord's son" She points out. "They're not going to believe me"

"They'll believe me" Aang stands and nods for her to join him. Rana lets out a breath and pushes herself to her feet. She's changed clothing too. Wearing something more fitting for a water-bender than a fire-bending vastaya. It's warmer at least.

......

Zuko lays in his bed, Eevee curled in his side. He doesn't have the energy to get up, he has no crew to do anything with. He can't take his ship North to help. He did his part. He warns Rana. The door opens and Iroh sticks his head in.

"The crew wanted me to wish you safe travels," Iroh tells him.

"Good riddance to those traitors" Zuko argues.

"It's a lovely morning for a walk" Iroh starts. "Why don't you join me? It would clear your head" Iroh's smile falls away as Zuko refuses to respond. "Or, just stay in your room and sit in the dark" Iroh motions for Eevee and Houndour who move to join him. "Whatever makes you happy" Iroh leaves with the pokemon, closing the door behind him. Zuko turns his back on the door and lets out a sigh.

.........

Iroh walks away from the ship, Houndour and Eevee on either side of him, above them Talonflame circles. Iroh hums away to himself, Eevee looking back at the ship with sad eyes.

..........

Zuko pulls on his robes as he dresses, at least attempting to get up and do something with his day. He has no idea yet. He can't wallow. He has to try and figure out something. Another way. He picks up Rana's dress pin and sets it against his robe, sliding it into place. A sound echoes from outside of his room. Zuko frowns, pauses, listening before he slides the dress pin the rest of the way. He heads to the door.

"Uncle?" He asks as he opens his door to look out into the corridor. "Houndour? Eevee? Uncle, is that you?" He jumps out into the hallway in a fighting stance. Warily, he advances to the bridge, ready for instant combat around every corner. Zuko walks around the bridge before he turns to look out one of the bridge windows to see the Pirate Captain's green parrot. It croaks at him and then takes off. Zuko's eyes widen as the realization of what the bird's appearance means strikes him. It is too late. The bridge deck and main deck explode, blasting Zuko out the bridge window. Another explosion rips the vessel completely open midship.

..........

Iroh walks down a dirt road, the explosion in full bloom behind him. He has turned to look, his face contorts with surprise and fear.

"Zuko!" He begins to run back to the ship.

.........

Iroh's reaches the dock, burning debris falling all around him. He is dwarfed by the massive fireball that was Zuko's ship.

"Zuko..." Iroh lowers his head in sadness.

"Eevee!!!" Eevee whispers as Houndour stares at the burning ship.

..........

Rana, Katara, Sokka and Aang kneel in front of the Chief, Princess Yue, Master Pakku, and what looks to be the tribe's council who all sit on a dais. Aang has just told them about the Fire Nation, and the warning that they are coming.

"Where did this information come from?" Pakku asks, Aang looks at Rana and she lets out a breath.

"Does it matter?" Rana asks. "They are coming....and we need to either evacuate...." None of them looks pleased about that option. "Or prepare for battle" The tribe's council all share a look, but Rana can see that they're not going to listen to them. She clenches her jaw.

"We will not run from our home" Arnook offers. "But we will prepare" Rana closes her eyes and lets out a relieved breath.

"Hmmm.....Katara also tells me you don't teach your daughters how to use their water-bending for war" Rana points out. Katara huffs in agreement. "I don't understand...."

"It is part of our history, our ways, our customs" Pakku informs her.

"Customs that might have worked more than 100 years ago but this world has been at war for the better part of a century..." Rana points out. "How can you sit by and not...." She stops and lets out a breath. Calming herself down. "The Fire Nation will not underestimate you and you shouldn't underestimate them, this is going to need as many capable benders as you can produce...all of them...regardless of gender...." Pakku scoffs a little. "And refusing to teach Aang because you're a misogynist and he is not? That's going to help bring peace?" She asks.

"What do you want me to do?" Arnook asks her. "Force Master Pakku to take Aang back as his student?"

"Yes," She answers. "That's exactly what you should do" Rana points out.

"I suspect he might change his mind if she were to swallow her pride and apologize to him," Arnook tells Katara. The idea is hateful to her and it shows. Her eyes move to Aang and she turns to look at him. She turns, back, clearly unhappy.

"Fine"

"I'm waiting, little girl" Pakku tells her. Rana rolls her eyes a little. Katara's hand balls up instantly to a fist at this insult.

"No! No way am I apologizing to a sour old man like you!" As she speaks, cracks open in the floor beneath her as her water-bending abilities begin to get out of control. She ends by pointing directly at Master Pakku, her finger almost in his face. At the conclusion of her statement, the massive water pots at either end of the dais.

"Uh, Katara..." Aang tries.

"I'll be outside – if you're man enough to fight me!" Katara points out. Princess Yue draws breath in surprise as the men stiffen. Katara then leaves the room.

"I'm sure she didn't mean that." Aang offers.

"Yeah, I think she did" Sokka argues.

"That was amazing" Rana praises with a huge smile. "I'm so proud of her" She stands and lets out a breath. "The Fire Nation won't care if they're up against a boy or a girl, old or young...sick or healthy" She points out. "They'll cut you down regardless...." She adds. "Failing to teach your daughters how to defend themselves will be a weakness that the Fire Nation will exploit....shame on all of you for leaving them vulnerable and defenceless..." She turns and leaves, heading after Katara.