Chapter Eighty-Seven

Behind Aang is a circular stone bench on which Katara and some black and white hermit crabs sit. Aang stands with Teo, the Mechanist, and some of the other temple residents. Rana and Sokka are close by with her pokemon.

"You know what?" Aang asks softly. "I'm really glad you guys all live here now. It's like the hermit crab" He picks one up from the stone bench. "Maybe you weren't born here, but you found this empty shell and made it your home. And now you protect each other"

"That means a lot coming from you," Teo tells Aang warmly. Aang nods. Sokka elbows Rana and she cringes a little.

"Rana, you were right about airpower," Sokka tells her. "As long as we've got the skies we'll have the Fire Nation on the run!" The crowd cheers Sokka and Rana smirks amused before her eyes move to the group of vastaya stood away from them, waiting for their moment. She swallows a little and looks down. Aang touches her hand before he takes it. The two of them share a look, both knowing they're going to have to talk to them, to thank them. She nods and lets Aang lead the way over to them. The gathered pokemon and vastaya watch Rana and Aang approach them. An old, greying vastaya stands at the front of the group, a crown-like adornment on his head.

"What are you doing here?" Aang asks. Rana gives him a look. "Not that we aren't grateful" He adds. "But...Why?" The older vastaya moves closer to them.

"Shakra sent word that one of our own had been injured, we were bringing supplies when we saw the Fire Nation...." He explains and then lets out a breath, staring down at Aang. "You haven't aged a day" He comment and Aang frowns back at him. Then he seems to realise as he touches his cheek, staring at the scar on the vastaya's face.

"Taru?" Aang asks as he moves closer to the older man. "You're still alive?"

"Hello, Aang" Taru greets softly, inclining his head. "And it's King Taru now..."

"You are their king and you came all this way to give us supplies?" Rana asks, folding her arms over her chest just as Sokka and Katara move to join them. Taru lets out a small breath.

"My granddaughter was hurt, I thought I should be the one to come here..." He looks at Rana softly, but she just frowns back at him.

"My grandfather" She offers, he nods. "So...you were alive this whole time?" Rana asks.

"Rana" Taru starts.

"Why didn't you come for me?" She whispers, her voice breaking. "Why did you leave me with Zhao and the Fire Nation? If you've been out there this whole time....." She looks at Taru.

"I had our people to think about," He tells her. "We didn't have the numbers to get into another war with the Fire Nation...Not even for you" She looks away from him before she looks down and then walks away. "Rana" Taru tries but she sniffles and moves to Noivern waiting for her. What can he possibly say to make it better? Taru takes a deep breath and returns to a more diplomatic appearance. "I also bring gifts from the Vastaya" Taru states and pulls a bag from his belt. He opens it up as he moves closer to Sokka, Katara, and Aang. "A way to say thank you for watching over Rana..." He gives them each a tense smile. "Shakra" Taru offers and hands the three of them a crystal ball like Rana's. "She is a good reader of character....picked out one for each of you" He nods at Sokka who looks down at the ball before he holds it out, a burst of blue light erupting from it and towards the ground. pokemon bursts from it. "Cubone" Taru informs Sokka who crouches in front of the Cubone who spins his bone weapon. Katara looks at the ball and then holds it out, closing her eyes in anticipation. "A Piplup" Taru voices and Katara opens her eyes. "A fine companion for a young water-bender" Katara looks down to find a blue penguin looking pokemon. "And for the Avatar?" Aang glances at Rana and then back at the ball. It doesn't feel right. Doing this without her at their side. Taru and Aang share a look.

"You left her behind" Aang points out.

"I had no choice" Taru defends. "I was King, I had a duty to protect my people, to keep them safe...."

"She is your people too" Aang argues, motioning towards Rana. She folds her arms over her chest, refusing to look over at them. Her people were out there, being led by her own grandfather, and he left her behind. She could have been raised by her own people, and she wasn't. She feels betrayed and abandoned.

"I had to think of the many, the many Vastaya that there were left as refugees, that needed a safe home, that needed protecting....and not focus on one person...Even my own granddaughter" Aang shakes his head.

"Did you give up on me too?" He asks, Taru looks at him sadly.

"I never stopped looking for you, Aang" Taru argues. "Even after I was crowned, even after my children were born...I never stopped" Taru looks over at Rana. "My daughter and her husband, their child....they were just casualties of a war"

"Rana wasn't dead" Aang counters. "She was alone" Aang gives the ball back to Taru. "Keep your gift" He mumbles and moves to Rana.

"We don't have to give ours back, right?" Sokka asks, crouched and holding Cubone to him protectively.

.............

Rana sits on the edge of the terrace, staring out into the sky where the vastaya leave. She didn't expect them to stay. Taru moves towards her, his pokemon waiting for him behind him. Rana sniffles a little and keeps her head down. Taru hands over the supplies and Rana takes them from him without looking.

"I have to leave," He tells her. "Return to..." He stops and looks down at her. She shakes her head and looks away. "I understand that my choices upset you," Taru tells her as he sits at her side. "But I had an impossible decision to make" He looks at her as her ears flatten against the top of her head with her upset. "You were safe in Arkala....so I chose to help our people find a home. Then by the time our people were settled, Zhao had attacked Arkala and you were gone...we didn't have the numbers to find you, let alone get you out...But do not think that I haven't regretted that decision every day since. That I haven't thought about you" She clenches her jaw, fighting tears. "We have an opportunity now though" She stands and turns to face him.

"We have nothing" She stops him. "I've made it this far without your help...or guidance...or whatever. I have everything I need...in my friends and my pokemon....." She looks down and then walks away. Her tears falling now. She doesn't need him.