Chapter Thirty

Appa moves through the sky with some speed as the sun begins to rise. Rana has joined the others on Appa's saddle to make it easier to discuss their plans for once they get to the temple. She is the former Fire Nation girl after all. Aang looks over his shoulder at the rising sun. He turns forward with a determined look on his face.

"Come on, boy! We've got a long way to go! Faster!" Aang pushes a little and Appa lets out a noise before picking up speed. Rana holds to the edge of the saddle, her eyes on the clouds above as Noivern flies, trying to keep up with them, he didn't want to go into the ball and she couldn't force him. She lets out a breath and shares a look with Sokka who has a white knuckle grip going on.

........

Zuko stands at the front of his ship as it races through the ocean waters, a high powered spyglass pressed to his eye as he searches the skyline for Appa. Iroh stands at his side looking rather irritated.

"Sailing into Fire Nation waters..." Iroh complains but there is a lot of frustration and concern in his tone too. "Of all the foolish things you have done in your 18 years, Prince Zuko, this is the most foolish"

"I have no choice, Uncle" Zuko counters.

"Have you completely forgotten that the Fire Lord banished you?!?!?" Iroh asks as if Zuko needed reminding. "What if you're caught?" Zuko turns around from the spyglass to look at Iroh.
"I'm chasing the Avatar. My father will understand why I'm returning home"

"You give him too much credit. My brother is not the understanding type" Zuko turns back to the spyglass, he searches the skies for a few seconds and identifies Appa's flying form in the distance.

"There they are! Helmsman, full steam ahead!" Zuko orders, ignoring the look Iroh sends him. Zuko clenches his fist at his side and lets out a breath. He's so close.

.........

Sokka glances behind them as if sensing something. And right there, in the waters below them, he spots Zuko's ship. He hits Katara's arm to get her attention, she turns and follows his eyes.

"Aang, we got trouble" Katara points out.

"Yeah, and it's gaining fast!" Sokka adds.

.........

A catapult is raised from below onto the deck of the ship and then is loaded with a steaming and smouldering projectile. Zuko and Iroh are standing behind the catapult. Iroh, fanning himself, wrinkles his nose in disgust.

"Really, Prince Zuko, couldn't you shoot them down with something more fragrant?" Iroh complains. Zuko shoots a fireball at the projectile and it ignites. He raises his arm in the air.

"On my mark.........Fire!" A Fire Nation soldier cuts the catapult's rope and the fiery projectile is hurtled into the air.

..............

On Appa's back, Katara turns around and shouts to Aang over the sound of the wind around them.

"Fireball!"

"I've got it!" Rana counters and then whistles sharply. Noivern bursts out of the clouds and flies towards the fireball. He lets out a sonic blast the destroys the fireball into tiny little pieces and Noivern flies under Appa and then back up to fly above them.

"We have to get out of Zuko's range before he shoots another hot stinker at us!" Katara complains as the smell from the destroyed ball hits them.

"Can't you make Appa go any faster?" Sokka asks. Aang holds his nose.

"Yeah, but there's just one little problem" Sokka, Katara, and Rana move closer to him to peer over Appa's head to see what he's talking about. Their eyes widen.

.........

Zuko stares ahead, his own eyes widening as he sees just what they have.

"A blockade!" There is a double line of Fire Nation warships, stretching to the horizon and likely beyond. Each and every single one of the warships is lined with trebuchets. Iroh pulls on his beard thoughtfully.

"Technically you are still in Earth Kingdom waters. Turn back now and they cannot arrest you" Iroh points out. Zuko glares at his Uncle.

.......

Aang on Appa's back is looking at the line of warships, behind him, Sokka, Rana, and Katara are watching the blockade.

"If we fly north we can go around the Fire Nation ships and avoid the blockade. It's the only way" Aang offers.

"There's no time" Katara argues.

"This is exactly why I didn't want you to come. It's too dangerous" Aang comments, hating that he's put his friends in danger.

"And that's exactly why we're here" Sokka argues.

"Let's run this blockade" Rana agrees, Aang looks at her, she nods, reassuring him. Aang nods in agreement and turns to get settled with Appa.

"Appa! Yip! Yip!" Appa growls affirmatively and soars forward.

.........

Zuko watches as Appa picks up speed, realising that they're not stopping or slowing down. The Avatar and Rana flying further and further away from him. He lets out a breath and closes his eyes before he opens them again, looking more determined.

"He's not turning around" Zuko voices.

"Please Prince Zuko, if the Fire Nation captures you, there is nothing I can do. Do not follow the Avatar" Iroh argues and then gives Zuko a look. "Don't follow her" He adds softer, Zuko bows his head.

"I'm sorry, Uncle" Zuko turns to his helmsman and then points forward. "Run the blockade!"

.............

On one of the blockade ships, Zhao is peering through a spyglass, focused on Appa first, before he moves on to look at Noivern and then Zuko's ship.

"The Avatar, the vastaya...and the banished Prince. This must be my lucky day" He comments.

"Commander Zhao, what are your orders?"

"Shoot the Bison down" Zhao orders.

"But there's a Fire Navy ship out there, Sir, one of our own. What if it's hit?"

"So be it" Zhao argues. The soldier starts back in alarm. "It belongs to a traitor" Zhao turns towards a soldier standing ready at the trebuchet. "Ignite!" The soldier ignites one trebuchet, and each soldier on each ship ignites his assigned trebuchet. "Launch!!!" Fireballs fly into the air on either side of Zhao.

......

Rana watches the fireballs heading towards them and then looks up at Noivern before deciding, she stands and moves to the edge of Appa.

"Rana!" Sokka scolds but she jumps. Katara screams and moves to the edge as Noivern bursts past them following her. Rana twists herself in the air and Noivern slides forward under her so she can grab the saddle and pulls herself into place. She pulls on the reins and turns him, dodging the fireball.

"Come on, Noi...let's get their attention!" He roars out in agreement and flies towards the blockade.