Chapter Forty-Two

Rana can't help but find it all stupid. So very stupid. This whole thing is stupid. How can she possibly have feelings for that....jerk. He makes her so angry. Infuriatingly indifferent about it all. Rana pulls her sword from her back, carefully watching Wartortle who moves towards Aang, the pirates have not seen him or aren't taking much notices of him. Wartortle sends out a water blast that throws a pirate back, initiating the fight and Rana uses this moment to rush out of the trees and takes down two pirates before they notice that she's there. Zuko takes out two more as he joins in, followed closely by Pichu who runs after him with its hands held out. Behind Rana, Ninetails and Rockruff race into the fight. The pirates jumps into the midst of the fight with a rallying cry. Zuko, Rana, and her pokemon bear down on the still bound Katara and Sokka as Wartortle gets Aang free. The Avatar jumps up and races into the fight too, grabbing his staff from the ground. As they get near, four pirates jump into the frame to defend their captives. They drop smoke bombs and the battlefield instantly becomes a foggy mess. Aang uses his staff to air-bend a sort of fan move that clears the fog almost instantly. From the trees, coconuts are suddenly flung by Momo who chatters from a branch. Launching the projectiles at the pirates with a rather happy look on his face. Rana and Zuko reach Sokka and Katara and untie them as the pokemon chase off the pirates who run away, disappearing into the trees. Ninetails barks happily, bouncing around to celebrate their victory. Aang and Katara turn to Zuko as Sokka picks up Rockruff to scratch at her head.

"What now?" Katara asks Zuko who glances at Rana as she slides her sword away.

"Go," He tells them as he folds his arms over his chest. "Go on, before I change my mind...consider it...a head start" He looks at Rana who gives him a smirk, but there is pride in her eyes too. Sokka looks at Rana and touches her arm before walking away with Katara and Aang, the pokemon following behind them, except for Pichu who still stands at Zuko's side.

"Pichu" Pichu whispers and reaches up for Zuko, he caves and picks up the little mouse thing, scratching at its head as Rana moves closer to him.

"Thought you wanted us to make it look good" She teases as he hands Pichu to her, he then clears his throat and shrugs.

"Let's just say that this is for old time's sake" He counters. "Princess" He teases a little.

"Just old times, Zu?" She asks him, he looks at her. The two of them sharing a look. He touches her face, brushing her hair back, he fully intends to kiss her, but he realises that he can't. It wouldn't make either of them feel better about this. There has to be a line drawn, he knows this. He can't. He closes his eyes and then settles on kissing her forehead instead. Lingering there before he pulls back. She sighs sadly, but seems to understand, she pats his chest before she follows after her friends. Zuko lets out a breath and then touches his chest, settling his hand over where that spark hit him. He has no idea what that is. And from the look on her face when it happened, he is actually inclined to believe that she doesn't either.

.........

Iroh and the other Fire Nation soldiers are waiting for Zuko when he returns to them. Alone. Iroh raises an eyebrow but does have an idea of what happened to the others. His nephew has a heart buried deep, especially for Rana.

"Where is the Avatar?" One of the soldiers asks. Zuko clenches his hands at his side.

"Got away from me" He answers and heads back towards the ship waiting for them. Iroh catches up to him, walking at his side.
"Hehe, Prince Zuko, you're really going to get a kick out of this. The missing lotus tile was in my sleeve the whole time!" Iroh produces the missing lotus tile with a huge smile on his face. Zuko stares at the tile before he lets out a breath, trying to calm his now growing anger. Rana's smiling face flickers in his mind and his anger dissipates from him.

"Good" Zuko tells him. "Then we get going" He turns and walks onto the ship.

.......

Rana sits on the back of Appa with Pichu in her lap as it seems to cry. It is rather attached to Zuko. She assumes it is because he was there when it hatched. Today was an experience. She sighs. She doesn't know if it was a good or a bad experience. She touches her chest, rubbing at where that spark went in. She has no idea what that was. She's never heard of anything like that happening.

"Who needs that stupid scroll anyway" Katara offers as she sinks against the saddle. Sokka holds out his hand towards her, revealing the scroll.

"Is that really how you feel?" Sokka asks.

"The scroll!" She reaches for it, but Sokka pulls it away and gives her a look.

"First, what did we learn?" Sokka points out giving Rana a look, she hums and looks at him.

"Oh," She whispers and then smirks. "Stealing is wrong" Katara takes the scroll from him.

"Unless it's from pirates!" Katara adds cheerfully.

"Haha! Good one, Katara" Aang agrees. The four of them smiling together. Aang and Katara going over the scroll together but Rana's smile fades, she looks down at Pichu who stares up at her. Feeling feelings for the enemy, it's never going to work out. She has to get over herself. Get over those feelings. Concentrate on her duty as True Elemental. Focus on Aang and the Avatar. She lets out a breath and nods.

.........

Steam rises from a mug of tea as Iroh carries it into Zuko's quarters where he sits at his desk, Rana's tome open in front of him as he absent-mindedly stares at it.

"I need to make a choice" Zuko admits as he reaches up and touches the tome. "To focus on one pursuit"

"Is that so?" Iroh asks as he sets down a cup of tea beside Zuko's hand. "Are we going to finally forgo pretences and admit that we are pursuing Rana now?"

"No" Zuko answers and looks at his uncle. "I must focus on the Avatar" Iroh sighs. This is not the path his nephew was meant to take. And relinquishing his pursuit of Rana is a mistake. Iroh knows that Zuko's future lays with that girl. She is the only thing that would be good for him.

"Zuko" Iroh scolds.

"I cannot concentrate on bringing in the Avatar if my mind is divided" Zuko argues. "The Avatar is my way home..." He turns to Iroh. "She will not get in my way again"

"And you know that going home and restoring your honour will not make you happy" Iroh counters, Zuko looks away, staring down at the book.

"What does my happiness have to do with anything?" Zuko comments. Iroh looks at him sadly.

"There is nothing I can do or say to change your mind?" Iroh asks him, Zuko shakes his head. "Very well" Iroh sighs and walks away from him.