Chapter Ninety-Six

Zuko is carrying Aang through the snow. After some steps, the ice underneath Zuko begins to crack and cave in. Within a few seconds, most of the ground around him is collapsing. He begins to run with Aang on his back. He manages to keep just ahead of the yawning hole that his footsteps over thin ice have caused to appear. The hole finally stops expanding as Zuko trips and falls. They are now on the lip of a newly formed canyon. He really didn't think this through. He thought it would be easy. Just rock up and find Rana and convince her to leave with Aang so Zhao doesn't get his hands on her. But oh no, no, she's not even where she is meant to be and now he's freezing. He looks ahead to see a rock ledge overhanging a small cave.

"Shelter!" He lets out a relieved breath and heads towards it.

.........

Inside the cave, Zuko appears, dragging Aang inside by the collar. Outside the blizzard continues. He dumps him at the back of the cave and ties his hands behind his back with some of the rope he is carrying, just in case. A shadow appears on the wall in front of him and Zuko knows. He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath before he looks over his shoulder. Rana is stood in the mouth of the cave, her fingers tight around her sword. Zuko stands and turns to face her. Can see that she's jumped to the wrong conclusion here. He thought she would. Her tail swishes angrily behind her. She's disappointed and angry. Her eyes flicker to Aang and then back to Zuko.

"Just when I thought that there was something even remotely redeemable about you" She snaps at him. "I..actually thought...that there was something good in you...I can't believe how stupid I was......" He moves towards her and she takes a step back at the look in his eyes. Something so focused and determined...wild. He grabs the back of her neck and crashes his lips to hers. This wasn't the plan. He wanted to talk her through what he did. Why he did it. But seeing her stood there. Looking all angry. He couldn't stop himself. And after he doesn't even know how long it's been since he saw her in the flesh. Her sword clatters to the ice and she draws her hands up, clutching to his clothing. He deepens the kiss, puts more feeling into it when she kisses him back, when she sinks into it. His free hand touches her jaw, tilting her face a little as he steps closer to her, pressing his body up against hers as he walks her back against the wall. Her tail shifts, wrapping around the two of them. 

"Princess" He coos against her lips. She lets out a soft but confused breath. "I took him because I knew you'd follow" He whispers. "Zhao...I had to get you away...." He strokes her jaw and nudges her nose with his own, ghosting his lips over hers with his eyes closed. "I knew you wouldn't leave them" He argues and pulls back a little. "And you didn't, even after I warned you that he was coming...."

"Shut up" She whispers, he frowns and looks down at her. "Kiss me again" He searches her eyes before he leans in and gives her exactly what she wants.

........

The blizzard outside of the cave has worsened, whilst it means they are stuck in this cave, it also means Rana can't go running back to face Zhao and likely get hurt, so Zuko finds the situation a bit of a win-win. Zuko looks over at Aang, then looks out of the cave.

"Guess we'll be here awhile" He comments as Rana shivers, sat on the ground against the wall. He turns to her and frowns. "What's wrong with you?"

"My hands are cold" She answers.

"You don't know how to regulate your body temperature with fire-bending?" He asks, she hums and shakes her head. "For shame. Allow me to demonstrate" He crouches at her side and aggressively holds her hands, using fire-bending to warm them. He looks so focused. So determined. She smirks a little.

"My tongue is cold too" She points out, Zuko lifts his eyes from her hands and she gives him a look. He lets out a breath before his lip twitches into a somewhat smile. He searches her eyes and then leans closer, brushing his lips over hers. It's less aggressive this time. He's taking his time to enjoy it. His hand moves to her neck to draw her closer to him. There is no rush. No where to go. No explanation to give. It is just them, and Aang, but mostly just them. It doesn't take long for it to shift, taking on a desperate edge. They've both been waiting for this, longer than they have both realised probably. But with the deeper, heated kiss, comes a warmer cave. Pools of water appearing as the ice begins to melt. Rana pulls back and pants a little as Zuko drops his forehead to her shoulder. "Is that you or me?" She asks.

"Me" He answers and closes his eyes, trying to control his fire-bending, but it's harder when emotions are heightened. She brushes her fingers over the back of his neck and he lets out a breath. Comforted by it. He doesn't really remember the last time someone touched him with kindness like this. He presses his lips to her neck and her fingers stop on his neck. For a split second, he fears he's done something out of line until she lets out a soft breath. It seems he's not the only one that been void of affection. But he understands. Zhao was her father. Something passes between them when he lifts his head. A sort of affectionate understanding. His hand finds her cheek and he leans closer. Kissing her other cheek as she curls her body into his chest. He kisses the corner of her lips next, his fingers moving to touch the fur lapels of her robes, drawing his fingers down to find the button holding it all together. She grabs his wrist to stop him. His eyes lifting to meet hers from where they had been on his fingers.

"I'm suddenly very aware that we're not alone" She points out, Zuko raises an eyebrow and then looks at Aang before he nods, understanding. That would be weird. He clears his throat and leans back. They don't know when Aang is going to wake up, so not exploring further is a bad idea. He sits at her side and brushes his hands over his knees. Neither of them really knows what this means for them. Her duty is still to Aang and Zuko has no idea what he's going to do now. He can't go back to the Fire Nation. But he doesn't feel like he's ready to help stand against them and his father either. She leans against his side and he presses his forehead to the side of her head, fingers lacing with hers. Aang, still bound on the cave floor, shifts as his tattoos stop glowing, waking from his spiritual nap. He struggles briefly against his bonds, then sits up to face Zuko and Rana against the wall together.

"Welcome back" Zuko comments, Aang frowns and looks between the two of them.

"Good to be back." Aang offers, defensively, he's not sure what this means. "What's going on, Rah?" He looks at his friend who lets out a breath and nods. Can see why he might be confused here.