Epilogue

Iroh walks with Rana through the ice village. Talonflame flying above them. Watching over Iroh. Wartortle and Eevee follow them along the walkways. With the battle over. It's time to think about what is coming next. What needs to be done next. Rana's kind of hoping there might be time to find Alola, the vastaya safe haven. Probably not but she can hope. She wants to apologise to Taru for the way she was with him.

"I'll write to Shakra" Iroh offers at her side. "See if there isn't a way to replace your necklace" Rana gives him a grateful smile and touches his arm.

"Thank you" She then tilts her head, her ears flickering on the top of her head. "You and Shakra are very close" She muses as she watches him. Iroh strokes his beard and nods in agreement. She gives him a look and he smiles and nods.

"Yes," He agrees. "We are spirit-bonded" She turns to face him, folding her arms over her chest.

"So how do you do it?" She asks. "How do you be together but not together?"

"Patience" He answers, she snorts. "Trust. Hope" Iroh adds. Rana nods along and looks across at Zuko who walks towards them with Houndour and Eevee following behind him. Pikachu perched on his shoulders. "He's come far" He then comments noting her gaze on his nephew. "But you both still have further to go"

"I know" She agrees and lets out a breath. Iroh slips away as Zuko joins her. Giving them a moment to themselves. Zuko helps Pikachu down from his shoulder and sets him down with Eevee and Houndour. Rana adjusts his water tribe clothing with a smirk when he stands again. How they'd managed to talk him into wearing it she'll never know. It's more like her robes though. Darker. More black with grey fur around the edges. Zuko watches her softly. Still amazed that she's alive. She sobers slightly, staring at the dress pin he's placed in the robes. Her dress pin. She touches it and then lets out a breath. "You know what this means" She starts and looks at him. "For you and your uncle" Zuko nods.

"I know" He agrees. "I knew the second I made the choice to follow you up here" He touches her cheek. He then lets out a small snort-laugh. "I'm okay with it" She raises an eyebrow surprised. He shrugs a little.

"So I guess that means you must really like me?" She teases, pulling him closer to her. He hums in agreement and touches her cheek.

"But..." He starts. She frowns a little. "I can't go with you" He admits sadly, she cocks her head. He lets out a breath. He hates the idea. But it is what is best to keep her safe. He understands what will come from him. He can't bring that down on Rana. "We both know that he'll send Azula to bring us back...So I can't be around you, or them" He nods across at her friends. "When she finds me" He presses his forehead to hers. "We need to go in different directions" Katara is glaring over at him. "Plus we both know that Katara might have a slight problem with me joining you...." She hums and nods in agreement. She doesn't like it. Not when they finally feel like they're on the right path. But if Iroh and Shakra can do it. So can they.

"Just look after your uncle" She straightens his robes and he nods. "I think he isn't like other Fire Nation soldiers" She teases a little, Zuko hums in agreement as they both look over at Iroh talking with Arnook.

"I know" He agrees softly and pulls her closer to him so he can kiss her forehead. She lets out a soft sigh and closes her eyes as he moves down, kissing her cheek and then the corner of her lips. He lingers there a moment before he fully captures her lips in a deep kiss. His hand shifts on her face, tilting her head slightly. He could easily be persuaded to stay. Easily. But he can't. Azula will come. Azula will hurt them, hurt Rana, to get to him. Zuko forces himself away from her and closes his eyes before he turns and walks away, clenching his fists at his side. Pikachu jumps up onto Rana's shoulder.

"Pika" Pikachu offers sadly, Rana hums in agreement.

........

Rana's tail flicks behind her as she takes a shaky breath and holds her head up, watching Zuko and Iroh's little boat sail away. Sokka touches her shoulder and curls his fingers in to comfort her. Despite the victory, it does all kind of feel hollow. With Yue dead and Zuko leaving. They could have used his help. But even Sokka knows that Katara would never be okay with it.

....

Outside of the city, on the sea is a variety of wrecked Fire Navy ships destroyed in the battle. Among the sunken shifts a small raft sails through the waters. Iroh and Zuko are sat together on the raft with Eevee and Houndour. Zuko looks lost. Not really wanting to leave Rana.

"I'm proud of you" Iroh admits, Zuko looks at him, surprised but touched, his fingers scratching at Eevee's head where she lays stretched out between the two men. "To come to the understanding that your future lay with Rana, only to walk away because you knew it was the right thing to do, the only thing to do to protect her....that took immeasurable courage..." Zuko looks down, a blush working onto his cheeks. "Especially after what happened...." Iroh smiles. "I am proud of you" He repeats softly. Eevee suddenly erupts into a bright blue light. Zuko and Iroh lean back, shielding their eyes as Eevee evolves between them. When the light fades, no longer does Eevee lay between them, but something a lot brighter, something a lot pinker. Zuko blinks a little looking at this new pokemon who blinks and looks up at him too. The two of them sharing a look as it wraps some kind of ribbon around his wrist. Zuko smiles and holds out his other hand.

"Sylveon"

"I think your Eevee was proud of you too" Iroh teases a little as Sylveon curls up in Zuko's lap. Houndour starting at his friend before he moves to join them.