Chapter Thirty-One

Rana pulls Noivern up away from the water and back towards Appa, dodging fireballs to get to him. They need a plan, they can't just fly through fire balls. She can take their attention whilst is looks like Aang and the others are escaping. They can then go up and over the blockade and into Fire Nation waters.

"What are you doing?" Aang asks her as he leans over.

"Go up, get into the clouds, use it as cover...." She tells them and nods upwards, Aang shakes his head. She gives him a look back before she pulls on Noivern's reins. he darts left, away from Appa, not really giving them a chance to argue with her. After the last time she did this. Putting herself between them and the Fire Nation, she ended up getting kidnapped. But she is right about their attention. Zhao is in charge. And first things first, he'll be getting his daughter back and under his control. He'll deal with the Avatar after that. The trebuchets turn, aiming at Rana giving Aang a break to get up into the clouds. Zuko watches from the deck of his ship as Appa disappears, his eyes then moving to Noivern as they fly towards his ship, pulling around in front of it.

"What is she doing?" He muses to himself. Facing them herself is suicide. Zhao orders another round of fireballs towards Noivern and Rana. But she moves Noivern out of the way quickly, putting Zuko's ship in the direct line of fire. A soldier is trying to keep his balance as the ship is rocked by waves created by the fireballs hitting the water close to the ship. One fireball lands extremely close to the ship and generates a wave that breaks across the deck. Another fireball hits the back part of the ship. Zuko braces himself against the catapult. He turns towards the front of the ship. The engine master calls to him as he runs up onto the deck and Zuko turns around to speak to him. The engine master points to the billowing fire and smoke behind him.

"Prince Zuko, the engines are damaged! We need to stop and make repairs!" Zuko turns back towards the front of the ship.

"Do not stop this ship" He orders. Noivern flies through the sky, heading up towards the clouds himself, following behind Appa. Rana is trying to help Noivern avoid the fireball bombardment. In front of them, 12 fireballs shoot through the clouds, smoke trailing behind them. Noivern swerves to miss one on his left then dives down through the clouds again to avoid the fireballs. The smoke trails from multiple fireballs surround them. Two fireballs collide and explode directly in front of Noivern who growls and rears up to avoid the combustion. He bucks and Rana is thrown from his back, she reaches out, trying to grab hold of something. Anything. She begins to fall and disappears into the clouds below. Noivern roars out and twists turning to follow her. But it's not Noivern that catches her, it's Appa's saddle beneath her as she lands. She sits up alarmed and stares a little as Sokka who sits across from her. He waves and smiles at her. Appa hits the water, each of his six legs using the ocean's surface like a trampoline. He begins his ascent as Noivern twists under him and then bursts up from his side, eyes seeking out Rana, happy she's unharmed, he flies around Appa. The Fire Navy ships let loose another barrage of fiery missiles. Rana holds her hands together as she concentrates before throwing them out. A huge wave erupts between them and the barricade catching the fireballs in the waves. Katara stares amazed as the wave climbs higher and higher.

"Get ready" Rana manages through gritted teeth. Aang leans forward, Appa's reins in his hands. Rana throws her hands forward and the wave curls and splashes down over the Fire Nation ships. Soaking them. Zhao glares up at Appa as he flies through the Fire Nation blockade. Rana drops back onto the saddle, letting out a tired breath. Aang raises his left fist into the air.

"We made it!!!" Aang cheers and chuckles looking at Rana who nods in agreement. Sokka and Katara both look shocked and amazed that they did.

"We got into the Fire Nation......" Sokka comments, his shoulders slump. "...Great..."

..............

Zhao is approached by one of his soldiers as all the men around them try to shake off water.

"Where do you think they are headed, Sir?" Zhao bows his head, thinking.

"I'm not sure" He then turns his head towards Zuko's approaching ship. "But I bet a certain banished prince will know"

...............

Zuko's ship is approaching the Fire Navy's blockade. As Zuko's ship gets closer, the ships of the blockade move towards each other in order to bar his way. Iroh and Zuko are on the deck of the ship, watching it happen. Zuko lets out a determined breath, not that there is anything that can be done about it unless he really wants to damage his own ship more than already has been.

"We're on a collision course!" Iroh points out.

"We can make it!" Zuko counters, leaning forward with anticipation.

.........

On Zhao's ship, a large group of Fire Nation soldiers stands at parade rest behind him. Their leader snaps to attention and speaks.

"The boarding party is ready to apprehend Prince Zuko, Sir"

"Wait" Zhao stops him. "Cut the engines. Let them pass"

"Sir?" Zhao does not respond, just watches as Zuko's ship slides easily through the blockade.

...........

The temple they are looking for is situated on a cliff directly below the volcano. Here, Appa lands near the temple followed by Noivern who looks at Rana apologetically as she climbs from Appa's back, but she just hugs his neck instead. She's just pleased they all got out of it alive and with all limbs.

"You did so well" She assures him, her voice breaking slightly. All her adrenaline fading from her as she pulls the crystal ball from her necklace. Rana touches Noivern's face softly and then presses the crystal ball to his head, he disappears and she lets out a tired breath. Behind her, Aang pats Appa's face lovingly.

"You did it, buddy. Nice flying" Aang praises Appa who then groans and rolls onto his side in pure exhaustion. Katara walks towards Appa and begins to rub his tummy. Sokka is stretching in the background.

"Oh! You must be tired!" Katara tells Appa, though Sokka assumes she is talking to him.

"No. I'm good" Sokka then starts jogging in place. "Refreshed and ready to fight some fire-benders" Katara turns towards Sokka, a wry look on her face.

"I was talking to Appa" She argues. Sokka stops jogging.

"Well, I was talking to Momo" He argues. Momo is hanging upside down from a nearby tree. He chitters and looks quizzically at Sokka. Rana moves closer to them as she attaches the ball to the chain.

"I was thinking...that maybe someone should stay out here" She offers. "Keep watch" They turn to her. "We don't know how far behind us they are and we don't know how long this is going to take...."

"She has a point" Sokka agrees. "I'll stay" He offers. Rana shakes her head.

"No, I'll stay" She argues. "I know their tactics, I'll see them coming"

"Are you sure?" Katara asks, Rana nods.

"Yeah, I got this" She assures them. Katara hugs her quickly before she heads away with Sokka. Aang looks at Rana who nods back at him.

"Be careful" Aang begs of her, she nods and watches as he jogs to catch up with the others. Rana lets out a breath and spins her sword as she pulls it from her back. She taps the blade to the ground and then takes a seat on the steps. She knows they'll turn up. They're not about to let Aang go without a real fight.