Moments of truth

“Oooh, hi, little princess,” he smiles, leaning over her little bed, before sitting down on her bed next to her, “She's more and more beautiful. She looks like you more and more.”

         “Thank you.” she said, unable to smile, then looking away.

         “How are you, Kid ?” he asks, despite knowing the answer, 

She shrugged in response, “It's okay. I've seen better days, however, Rex.”

          “I understand.” he said with a small nod. He was so angry with himself for the kidnapping of little Caesar, although she said it had nothing to do with it, he felt responsible and horribly guilty. He noticed that she was lost in thought, “We're doing everything we can to find him, you know that, right ?” 'I'll never forgive myself if we don't.'

          “I do. I know that.” she replied with a nod, briefly “But-”

          “What's the matter ?” he asks.

She sighed, “Nothing just … something Anakin said to me and that runs through my head.”

          “What did he tell you ?”

          “He told me that if Caesar had died, … I would have felt it, you see ? …” She looked up at him, “That … pain in my chest would have already exploded.”

         “And what are you feeling ?”

         “I feel he's alive.” she replied, 

         “So trust yourself,” he smiles, “He's right Skywalker.”

She shook her head sharply, looking away, “At the same time, maybe I say that to reassure myself …”

       “No, I don't think so.” He retorted, as she looked up at him, “You're his mother, the bond you have with your baby is super strong.”

      “You believe it, do you ?” she asks, “You think even though we're apart …” She paused, searching for the right words, “Is there a bond between us ?”

        “Of course I believe it,” he smiles, “I may not have the Force like the rest of you, but I have several twin brothers.”

         “And so what ?”

         “Well, when one of them is not well, I know it.” 

         “What do you mean ?” she asks, confused, frowning.

        “It's weird, uh-sometimes I feel like it's coming from me. That I don't feel good … and in fact, I realize that I have no reason to feel that way.”

       “In fact, it's one of your twins who is not.”

       “I call him ... and usually he's sick or … he's unhappy.” he said, “And with Caesar, I'm sure it's the same. Trust yourself.”

She smiled at him and nodded, looking up at the sky, closing her eyes, but still hopeful. Caesar is still alive. She knows it now. Her son is alive and he is waiting for her. She made a promise to Ashla that she intends to keep. And if there's one thing she's learned from Anakin's side over those past three years, it's to never give up and never give in. She'll await him.

---

“Master ?”

“Hmm.”

       “May I ask you a question ?” she asks, biting her lower lip uncertainly. He nodded in response, waiting for her to speak. However, she didn't say a word, and he looked up at her, waiting for her to continue, but sensing that it was difficult, he motioned for her to continue. Then refocused on the toaster he was trying to fix, patiently waiting for her to speak when she felt ready. She took a deep breath and continued, “What was the name of the people who raised you ?”