the undertow (remus's version)

The train ride to Hogwarts was particularly draining for Remus, which he found partially laughable considering it was his final year and he was supposed to be enjoying himself

The train ride to Hogwarts was particularly draining for Remus, which he found partially laughable considering it was his final year and he was supposed to be enjoying himself. But how could he when he had a raging migraine and he had yet to take a seat since he began his rounds after the Prefect's meeting?

At the moment, for example, he was assisting a few first years to sort through their wizard's currency.

Remus was trying his best to remain patient and sympathetic. He knew the money system was often a spot of difficulty for muggle-borns, and he recalled the way his mother used to stand for long periods of time in the shops trying to remember the difference between sickles and galleons.

The nervousness of these first years, however, was more than slightly aggravating. Their high-pitched doubts and circling questions sent daggers of color through the center of Remus's brain. He was extremely relieved when the engine rolled to a stop and he was given a reason to excuse himself.

As he made his way out of the compartment, he scanned over the sea of black robes that made up the train hall. He told himself he was looking for falling glasses or a dangly earring, but really his eyes were raking the crowd for strands of light brown hair and a starry smile.

Instead, he found another crying first year in one of the front compartments.

These children need more trauma. Remus thought. They're too bloody soft.

"Hey, mate," he said calmly, sliding the door closed and crouching down in front of the boy. "You alright?"

The little boy took a deep and shivering breath inwards and nodded, tears still streaming furiously down his face.

"I was nervous my first year too," said Remus.

"Really?" The boy wiped his nose with his sleeve, his green eyes wide like saucers. Remus nodded.

"But inside the castle," he continued. "There are these floating candles, and the ceiling looks like the sky. And there's a hat that sings."

"A singing hat?"

"Yes. It's quite funny usually. And then you wear the hat, and it'll put you with all of your new friends. And they'll be your friends forever."

"The hat puts me there?"

"It does," Remus smiled. "Don't believe me?"

Remus stood up and held out his hand. The little boy looked at it for a moment before sniffling and letting Remus help him up.

"Come on," said Remus. "Hagrid is going to take you there in a little boat."

"Hagrid?"

"Yeah," Remus breathed. He felt like one more question might make him burst. "Big guy, you'll love him."

Remus took the boy's hand and led him off the train and into the cool autumn air that awaited them outside.

He directed him to the mob of little heads by the lake and waited to be sure he made it over safely. Remus almost felt bad for not walking him there himself, but he decided that he had done more than enough for one evening.