all the sparks

Hi Remus John, hope you're well!

Your father and I read over your last letter three times. The first to actually read it, the second to work through the story, and the third to count how many times you referenced or alluded to this Sydney.

She sounds lovely, by the way! Much different than the way you've described that Valerie girl whom you're seemingly going with. I know I promised to stop interfering, but Remus, you said something about Sydney 17 times. 17! In one letter! And the only time you mentioned Valerie was to say that you went on another walk, which it didn't seem like you even enjoyed.

If Valerie doesn't make you happy, you can't stay with her, darling. It's not fair to either of you. I'm sure she's a nice girl, but it sounds like you already have your heart set on someone different, even if you refuse to admit it to me.

I may be old, but I'm not stupid!

Who knows, maybe I'll be sitting at you and Sydney's wedding one day!

And then grandkids!

Sorry. Too far ahead. Please don't grow up.

Miss you so much! Counting down the days to Christmas!

All my love,

Mum

P.S. Tell Peter that I'm glad he and Sydney enjoyed Grease so much! I told you it was better than Star Wars!!!

"Whatcha readin'?"

Sydney dropped down beside Remus with a handcrafted breakfast sandwich and a curious smile. Remus stuffed the letter back into the envelope immediately.

"A letter from my mum," he said in his best attempt at nonchalance. Sydney nodded and took a bite of her bagel, which she had packed with an egg, some bacon, and a slice of cheese.

"What?" Sydney asked, her chewing slowing slightly and her eyebrows pushing together. Remus laughed slightly.

"What is that?" He asked, his eyes stuck on her sandwich. Sydney held the bagel away from her face and looked back and Remus like he was stupid.

"A bacon egg and cheese," she said obviously.

"The large assortment that the elves made wasn't enough?" Remus teased. Sydney reached over and picked up Remus's spoon, lifting out some grey oatmeal and letting it plop disgustingly back into its bowl.

"Looks delicious," she said dryly.

She picked up Remus's knife next and used it to cut her sandwich in half. She handed Remus the bit that she hadn't begun eating yet and said "Here, try it."

Remus looked at her skeptically for a moment and then caved and took a bite.

Fuck, it's good, He thought.