everybody talks (remus's version)

April Fool's Day was like a Marauder's Christmas

Well, nothing came close to Christmas. But, still. It was a national holiday. Like Sirius's birthday, or something.

Remus was up at 4am. He had to finish the aging potion he'd planned for Frank, and besides, Sydney's nose was blocked and she was breathing too loudly for him to sleep anyways. She snored beside him now, oblivious to the fact that he'd rested his wand light in her open mouth.

At 6, the sun was rising and she was still dead asleep. Remus sealed his potion and kissed her on the forehead. He motioned toward her, alerting her roommates to be quiet as they made their way downstairs.

"You were up early," said Marlene, eyeing him. "Suspicious."

"How would you know?" Remus asked. "You look like you're sleepwalking. Your eyes aren't even open."

Marlene shrugged. "It's a gift I've picked up after years of being friends with you people."

"Why don't you go back to sleep then?"

"And leave myself unguarded? No thanks."

"Yeah. Smart," said Alice, shivering. A few April Fool'ses back, Alice had slept past the Legal Pranking Hour and paid the price.

"Hey, we didn't know you were still in there," Marlene said. Alice's eyebrows shot up to her hairline.

"There was green slime in my bed for weeks! I had to sleep on a tarp!"

"Top of the morning!" declared James. They'd made it to the common room where he'd set up the chalkboard. Sirius, Peter, and Frank waited eagerly on the couches. "Let's get on with it, shall we?"

Remus sat next to Peter and turned his full attention to James.

"Now," said James, checking his watch. "Let's commence with the Pledge to Prankhood, shall we?"

Everyone rose to their feet.

Sydney came downstairs towards the end of the History Recall. She sat beside Remus and dropped her head on his shoulder.

"Hi," Remus whispered. James transitioned into the rules of the day. Beginning, of course, with the "Allergic Reactions Do Not Count as Pranks" clause.

"Aren't you lot free first block?" Sydney asked sleepily. Remus grinned.

"Yeah," he said. "We 'lot' are. But it's April Fool's today. You didn't think the Marauders would miss out on a day of pranks, did you?"

Sydney laughed a little and slid her hand into Remus's. Her (slightly less congested) breathing slowed as James continued through the rules. She slept straight through sub clause 7d: "Breaking of The Crown Shall Result in Future Disqualification/ Do Not Do That Again Sirius," and Remus had no idea how. That sub clause was at the end for a reason.