on the horizon (remus's version)

Sirius did not return to their dorm room after breakfast

Sirius did not return to their dorm room after breakfast. None of the boys had seen him since he had stormed away.

Remus didn't have the time to care.

Valerie had taken it upon herself to follow him back from the dining hall and into the Gryffindor common room where, as she put it, they could have a "little homework date".

Remus had looked desperately to James, but he was brushed off with a shrug and a wave as though he deserved this.

Valerie dragged Remus to the floor in front of the fireplace where they threw open various books. Remus did his best to actually accomplish some level of his work, but Valerie had a sliding hand that would not remove itself from Remus's leg no matter how many times he moved himself away.

Remus had nearly made it to a whole new side of the table when the portrait hole swung open and a girl with falling brown hair and a large grey hoodie stepped in.

She had a worn look in her eyes, so they were a dark and hard blue, rather than their usual light color. She also had her sleeves rolled up to her elbows, though she tore them over her scarred arms as soon as she realized there were people present.

"Oh," she said with slight surprise. "Oh," she said when she realized who it was.

Valerie slid her hand around the inside of Remus's thigh and he picked up her wrist and placed it in her own lap.

"Hi, Remus," Sydney said quietly, then her eyes flickered over to the girl beside him. "Valerie."

"Hi...  Um... What's your name again?"

"Sydney," the brunette said, though it seemed like she wanted to say much more.

"Ah, yes," Valerie replied airily, as though suddenly recalling. "Silly me, don't know why I always forget!"

"Yeah," nodded Sydney. "Silly you."

"Want to join us?" Remus asked, moving away from Valerie to make room. Valerie's head snapped sideways in alarm.

"You know, I'll have to pass," Sydney said with no hint of disappointment. "Thanks for the offer, though."

"Shame!" Seethed Valerie as she plastered on a sickly smile. "Maybe next time!"

"Oh, gosh, I hope there is one!" Cheered Sydney mockingly.

Sydney looked once more to Remus and her false and exaggerated concern dropped to a normal expression.

"I'll see you tonight?" She asked. Remus nodded.

"Don't be late," he replied.

"Wouldn't dream of it," Sydney said with sarcastic sincerity.

Remus laughed. Valerie snatched up his hands and forced her thin and cold fingers between his own. Sydney scoffed pitifully.

"Have a nice afternoon, Remmy," she said with a dry, two-finger salute before she slipped up the stairs and out of sight.