her buoy (remus's version)

"And then she just left?" Asked James with a laugh

The boys were seated at dinner the very same night of Remus's run in with Valerie. Remus had just reconveyed the details of his conversation with the strange and slightly scary girl to his mates and James seemed to find it highly comical.

"Yes!" Remus cried. "Isn't it odd?"

"I think you're overreacting," Sirius said with a shrug. "She was just being nice."

Remus blinked at him.

"You just wouldn't get it because you never put yourself out there," continued Sirius.

"Funny," said James, turning to Remus gleefully. "I was just saying the same thing!"

Remus glared at James but said nothing.

"Maybe you should give her a chance," said Peter.

"I don't want a chance with her," Remus answered. James smiled annoyingly at him but thankfully said nothing.

"This is why you're always a lone wolf, Moons," Sirius said, Remus shook his head at the pun. "Everyone is lining up to shag you and you don't give them the time of day."

"No one is lining up," Remus argued. Sirius tipped his head in an unconvinced stare.

"Sure, Moony."

Remus knew he would never give Valerie a chance because of her personality alone, but also because she wasn't the one he wanted to spend time worrying about.

Valerie didn't have a starry smile or invading eyes. She didn't tuck her hands into her sleeves and wear every slight emotion across her face. She didn't have sarcastic humor and a perfect laugh. She wasn't worth getting to know.

The one who was, the only one who was, was seated two seats over from him with her head to her plate and a small frown pushed across her face.

What's wrong?

"Who are you talking about?" Asked Peter, and everyone's eyes turned to the girls. Sydney looked out to the girls and then sighed.

"Theo Harris," she said blankly.

"And who is he?" Sirius asked. Remus glanced curiously at him for a moment before turning back to the girls.

"He's hot, that's who," Marlene stated bluntly. Sydney must have kicked her because she proceeded to grab her shin in pain.

"Does he go here?" Asked James.

"He's right over there by Severus," Alice answered. Remus turned immediately to face the Slytherin table, where a boy with brown hair and a white t-shirt was sat eating an apple and staring unashamedly at Sydney.

Well why wouldn't he, thought Remus, though he wished the boy would stop.

"A Slytherin, seriously?" Asked Sirius arrogantly.