truth ripples (remus's version)

Remus stirred awake the following morning to some muttering and short breathed laughter: the Marauders

"Mm," he hummed, pulling his uninjured arm to his eyes and trying to rub away the sleep, but it felt so good in the dark. "What time 's it?"

"8:45," answered Peter. "We brought your robes so you can get dressed before Potions class."

"Thanks lads," Remus sighed, sitting up slightly and opening his eyes as James tossed a set of clothes over the bed, the fabric falling short and landing on 

Sydney.

The girl was laying in bed beside him, her hand slipped across his waist and her breathing entirely steady. How had he not noticed before? How had he forgotten?

Remus looked back to his three friends in both alarm and slight embarrassment. Peter was holding in one of his "I told you so" laughs, rocking on his heels with his cheeks full of air; Sirius looked as though he was pushing down a grin himself, his eyebrows wiggling obnoxiously at Remus; and James simply shrugged as though this was a good thing.

"Go on," mouthed James. "Wake her."

Remus glanced down at the sleeping girl, her hair draped across her face.

"I can't."

James's shoulders collapsed in a disappointed eye roll.

"We could sing again," Peter offered. James stood up straighter.

"Sing?" Remus asked.

"Can we?" James asked, practically wagging around like a puppy.

"Sing what?" Remus pressed, getting ignored once more.

"No," Sirius said, shaking his head decisively.

"Pads, pleeeaaaseee."

"No."

"Please please please please," James begged, his words now coming out in a hoarse whisper as he clung to Sirius's shoulder.

"Absolutely not," Sirius spoke audibly, tearing from James's grasp. "I've done the song for Moony, I'm not doing it again."

Remus threw a wild "What song?!" look, but he was again left answerless.

"Fine," James said, depleted. "I just feel so bad waking her. She looks so comfortable."

Remus glanced down again to find that Sydney's hair had fallen from her face. She did look very peaceful, her chest rising and falling carefully against Remus's side; her hand hovering lightly over Remus's abdomen - skin on skin; her facial features entirely relaxed against her smooth skin: softened eyebrows, no crinkled eyes, her mouth dropped into a frown...

Wait.

"No offense, Moons, but you're slightly underweight in light of the moon," Sirius said. Remus let out a surprised laugh, having been temporarily distracted from the conversation.