Chapter 22: Naughty

*very long chapter*

☼ Elias ☼

It's only been a day since I saw everything.

Since I saw every scratch and every mark on Maeve's skin.

I turn my head slightly, noticing a pair of short legs, hiding behind a wall corner... hiding from me.

"Maeve, come here." I step closer to the corner, quickly because knowing Maeve, and I know she's most likely about to run away.

She ignores me and starts walking in the opposite direction.

I take two giant steps forward and grab Maeve's arm, "Maeve," I repeat her name again, hoping it would sway her mind.

"No!" Maeve shrugs my hand off of her arm, "no! You don't get to say my name like that! You don't get to pretend you didn't hurt me!" Maeve shouts at me, forcing her tears down.

After yelling at me Maeve turns around and starts running. I take another step forward and grab Maeve. I spin her around and throw her over my shoulder. Maeve starts thrashing around, kicking her legs and beating at my back with her fists.

"Put me down, you... you... you stupid idiot!" Maeve shouts before biting the back of my neck.

Is she trying to turn me on?

"I just want to talk," I reason with Maeve, walking into the game room. I squeeze the back of her thigh, making her squirm.

"Je ne veux pas parler," Maeve mumbles, falling limp against my shoulder.
(French- I don't want to talk.)

I sigh in frustration, "dommage," I assert coldly.
(French- too bad.)

"Fine, just put me down, I'm getting dizzy from being this high up," Maeve negotiates and I agree. I set Maeve down on her feet and she takes a small step backwards.

"Don't. Fucking. Run." I glare at Maeve, she stares at the pool table, avoiding my eyes.

"I won't," Maeve says in a small voice, her right hand wrapped around her left elbow.

Maeve takes another small step back as a wicked grin stretches across her lips. In a flash, she turns on her heels and bolts under the pool table. She comes out from the opposite side and runs into the hallway.

I run around the pool table and chase Maeve down the short hall. Maeve makes the rash decision to run outside... into the pouring rain.

Fuck it, I think to myself, following her outside.

"When did you get so fucking fast?" I shout, chasing after Maeve. She sprints off of the tiled patio into the grass. She's still so fucking short so I catch up to her quickly.

Right when I'm behind Maeve, reaching out to grab her a strike of lightning illuminates the sky followed by the loud crackling of thunder. Maeve instantly drops to the ground, wrapping her arms around herself.

By then, I'm not able to stop myself. I ram the heels of my sock-covered feet into the grass, trying to stop myself but I lose my footing and end up just sliding forward on the mud. In seconds I'm doing a complete summersault right over Maeve's head.