12.) I Skip Practice Just To Watch Someone Else's

@Xᴀɴ_Tʜɪᴘᴘʏ

1:05 ───⊙─────── 2:40

↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

ᴠᴏʟᴜᴍᴇ : ▮▮▮▮▮▮▯▯▯

playιng: [Mᴏᴅᴇʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴ] - [Cʜʟᴏᴇ Lɪʟᴀᴄ]

     Lydia's shriek pierced through the chilly air of the lacrosse field, causing Xan and Allison to flinch. They might've fallen out of their seats, had their butts not been practically frozen to the metal.

     "What do you mean you don't have cheer practice ALL WEEK?!!"

     Xan feigned annoyance, flipping some hair over her shoulder, "Well I mean exactly that. What's so hard to grasp?"

     Lydia's face soured, and she landed a firm punch right on Xan's bad arm. She and Allison were both distracted by waving at their respective boy-toys, giving Xan the time to blink away the tears of pain in her eyes, and act as though she hadn't almost bitten her tongue off to stop from crying out in pain. Either Lydia was a lucky shot, or Xan had terrible luck, because the hit had landed squarely on the fracture. It was a miracle she hadn't felt the bandages under her flannel.

     "Anyways..." Lydia refocused, swiveling back to glare at Xan, "You were telling me exactly how you got out from under Taylor the Tyrant's thumb for a whole week,"

     "Oh yeah," Xan said, letting her pain turn into excitement about her newfound free-time, "I missed a stunt and slammed my head onto the gym floor, I'm out for 'concussion risk'"

     "You know, you really shouldn't put air-quotes around concussion risk, that's a pretty serious deal," Allison chided, apparently having allowed her eyes a moment to rest from gawking at Scott.

     "You're a 'pretty serious deal'"

     "Um... thank you?"

     "You're welcome!" Xan beamed, before turning to an incredibly unentertained Lydia. "Anyways, it means I get to come here after school and watch practice. Catch all of the drama leading up to the first game,"

     "More like catch all of the dominating on the field Jackson's gonna do," Lydia said, shimmying her shoulders.

     "And making sure to get plenty of hydration and rest," Allison chimed in, copying Lydia's shimmy before fussing over Xan's ice pack.

     "Sure thing mom," she said with an eye-roll, giving up on swatting her hands away. It wasn't that big of a deal, she'd fallen on purpose during her first trick of the practice. She did hit her head to make it believable, but not nearly as hard it sounded, or as bad as she played it up to Taylor and Coach Russell. There was no way in Hades that she'd make it through even one practice with the condition her arm was in however, so had sent a quick prayer to Muses before hamming it up. The dry heaving may have been a bit much, but she wasn't going to take a single risk.

     This whole week, Xan would be riding on easy street, she barely had any homework, no cheer practice, plus she and Ethan had made up when she got home from Allison's. He'd been giving her so much undivided attention and care, which she soaked up like grass after a long drought. They'd watched movies, she was teaching him how to play her guitar, and they cooked meals for her family together- making more mess than food as they danced around the kitchen. She felt so excited about the series of good days she was about to have that she could barely contain her grin, and there was a pressure in her chest like she was about to start giggling at any second.