18.) I'm Forced To Revisit An Old Theory

@Xᴀɴ_Tʜɪᴘᴘʏ

1:05 ───⊙─────── 3:58

↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

ᴠᴏʟᴜᴍᴇ : ▮▮▮▮▮▮▯▯▯

playιng: [Hᴏᴛᴇʟ Rᴏᴏᴍ Sᴇʀᴠɪᴄᴇ] - [Pɪᴛʙᴜʟʟ]

     Chris could not believe that his sister had been in the town limits for less than ten minutes and was already causing trouble. Despite the fact that hunters protected humanity, they still had to try and remain under the radar. Most of what they did teetered on the edge of legality, and the rest jumped right into premeditated murder. 'Sorry your Honor, but we have our own code that we follow' wasn't exactly a practical defense tactic. Beyond staying out of the way of law enforcement, hunters tended to make a lot of enemies, the kind he'd prefer to stay well away from his daughter.

     Kate was often too reckless and solitary, but he wasn't blind to the results it got.

     Pulling up to the blonde woman, who stood leaning against her car, Chris thought she did very little to even seem normal. Any passerby would either speed past for their own safety, or call the cops to get the armed woman off of the streets. He wouldn't blame them, if he didn't know his sister inside and out, he'd be scared of the menacing and slightly unhinged way she held herself.

     As if the rules didn't apply to her like everyone else.

     "Get in," he said, wanting to get back before Allison became suspicious. Chris never knew whether to be proud of his daughter's strong intuition, or annoyed at all the danger it could get her into.

     "Not even 'hello, nice to see you?'" Kate sassed, reading the no-nonsense look on Chris' face as a direct challenge. Her brother groaned at the childish quip.

     "All I've got at the moment is 'please put the assault rifle away before someone notices',"

     "That's the brother I love," Kate said warmly, an ironic contrast to the weapon she'd fired just a few moments ago. To his credit, Chris maintained his stern disapproval.

     "Chris, there were two of 'em," Kate said to plead her case.

     "The Alpha?" Typical, her brother was always focused on the culprit. Kate thought they were in a unique position to prevent deaths before they even occurred, but all her brother liked to do was follow the code.

     "I don't know, but one of them tried to kill me⸺"

     "One of them is gonna lead us to the other," Chris said, his tone a level of patronizing that only an older brother could pull off, "He can't do that if he's dead,"

     "Well, I can't help kill either of them if one of them kills me first,"

     "If we had really needed the help, there's a Greek here. It would've been better to go to her," Chris said, knowing that he'd already lost the argument. He wasn't going to give up without making a point though.

     "Her? Well I do love working with strong young women, makes me feel optimistic about our future,"

     "Tell me about it," Chris said, hoping the characteristic demigod strength would rub off on his daughter, "And this one in particular is incredibly powerful. She must be doing regular patrols, because her scent ought to be off the charts,"