16.) Derek Learns the Art of Car Maintenance

All Derek had wanted was to get some gas. He was burning through it like crazy with the way he was driving around keeping an eye on the demigod and trying to keep this new beta from killing someone. 

     Or getting killed. 

     Although he couldn't pretend that the idea of just killing Scott himself and saving everyone a bunch of time and trouble wasn't becoming more appealing by the day.

     He knew that his peaceful night would be over as soon as the two SUVs blocked him into the pump. God damn hunters. They looked and acted like FBI rejects, and apparently had nothing better to do than constantly harass him. Their ringleader stepped out first, his smirk making it clear that Derek was just who he'd been looking for.

     The pump beeped as Derek's tank continued to fill, the various lackeys emerging and all staring silently at the werewolf. It wasn't until the Camaro's tank was full that the leader began to speak.

     "Nice ride," he said, stepping closer to the car, running a hand over the hood, "Black cars, though. Very hard to keep clean,"

     Derek thought that this was one of the weirder power plays he'd ever experienced, as he watched the hunter buff and imaginary spot off of his car.

     "I would definitely suggest a little more maintenance." The hunter continued, grabbing a squeegee and beginning to wash the windshield, "If you have something this nice, you want to take care of it, right? Personally, I'm very protective of the things I love. But that's something I learned from my family. And you don't have much of that these days. Do you?"

     The werewolf couldn't help but clench his fists, though he kept his face a blank mask. Who said something like that just days after someone's sister had been found dead. Hunters, of course, but it was still beyond a dick move. The hunter eyed Derek's balled up fists, and raised an unimpressed eyebrow. Derek wished he could beat that look off of his face.

     "There we go." he said with a nod, satisfied Derek had let his fists relax, "You can actually look through your windshield now. See how that makes everything so much clearer?"

     He turned away, self-righteous smirk still plastered across his face. Derek hated how he was being treated when he hadn't done anything wrong, how alone and powerless he was, and how the hunters obviously knew that. It was a simmering kind of rage that had Derek speaking before he could stop himself.

     "You forgot to check the oil,"

     The hunter froze, and turned back to his silent companions, "Check the man's oil,"

     One of the goons picked himself off of the silver SUV, and used the butt of his gun to smash the driver's side window. Watching with a smirk, the leader continued to speak.

     "I'm sure that your attitude will change very quickly if we have to get the Greek involved. She's friends with my daughter, you know. Why I'm sure in no time at all that she'll be like a member of the family. I don't have your sense of smell, and even I can tell she's powerful,"

     "Oil looks good to me," the goon who'd smashed Derek's window said, as stepped away from the car. The hunter smiled mockingly at this, as the crew began to load back into their cars.

     "Drive safely," was all he said before leaving Derek alone in the night.

     The werewolf sighed as he caught the extent of the damage to his car, grabbing his receipt. He quickly crumpled it in his hand and kicked the front of his car.

     There was a coupon for a free car wash at the bottom.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my shortest chapter yet, but I just loved the idea and I didn't want to squeeze it in with the rest of the bowling date. Also no song bc Derek lives in stoic silence.

Thanks so much for 1k! It means so much to me :)

Also please vote or comment if you enjoy enough