Chapter Thirty-Six

Finally it's here bffs omg

Let me know of any spelling mistakes :)) I'll be back to updating regularly now x

--

T/w mentions of murder/ guns/ smut
--

Half an hour later Harry and Louis pull up out the front of the Styles' household. The ride from West to East was short and silent. Louis didn't dare say a word while Harry sobbed silently to himself. Louis watched him wipe the tears under his eyes with the end of his sleeve, and all he could do was squeeze his knee softly with the hand that wasn't occupied by the steering wheel.

When they climb out of the car, Harry grabs Louis' hand tightly and Louis lets him. They begin walking up the lawn like that. The wind is strong and messes up Harry's curls, but the younger boy doesn't seem to mind.

The porch light is on and the front door is opened wide behind the screen door. Harry knocks on the door three times, as always. The rattling of the door seems so much louder than usual, almost as if it could wake up the entire neighbourhood. All Harry's senses seemed to be amplified ever since he dropped that phone to the ground.

"Coming!" The two hear Niall's voice call. He sounds sad and tired. "Give me a second!"

"It's going to be alright, love." Louis assures, squeezing Harry's hand and resting his head on top of his boyfriends. "You're gonna be alright, yeah? I'm here no matter what."

"I love you." He whispers, his voice cracking and Louis feels like his heart had been ripped out of his chest because seeing Harry in this state really did something to him. He couldn't stand seeing him upset and knowing there was not much he could do to help. It made him want to rip his own hair out of his scalp.

"I love you too, so much." Louis responds, just as Niall comes around the corner to unlock the screen door for the two of them.

"Hi," Niall greets them, a look of pity on his face. Harry hated being pitied. "I'm so, so sorry, Harry."

Harry sniffles and wraps his free arm around Niall, who returns the gesture.

"Liam's inside," Niall tells the two. "He's not doing so well."

Obviously, Harry thinks, but he doesn't say anything. He knows Niall must be upset, too. He'd met their mum enough times before to be upset that she was dead, even if she hadn't been the nicest woman around.

"Should I wait out here, then?" Louis asks, not sure if imposing on such a personal family issue was a good idea. Harry shook his head, though, and gripped his hand impossibly tighter.

"No. Want you with me." He says quietly. Niall smiles sadly and steps aside for Louis and Harry to enter.

The foyer is the same as it always has been, but for some reason it felt colder and emptier to Harry. He didn't know why, but it sent chills down his spine and he just felt so out of place, even though he was in the same house he'd lived in since forever.

The three walk through the house and find Liam sitting at the dining room table, his head hurried in the palms of his hands. He looks up at the sound of footsteps and Harry's heart drops just a little bit because he hasn't seen Liam look this upset in years.

"Liam," Harry drops Louis' hand and and wraps his arms around his brother instead. Liam grabs Harry's hand tightly and sobs into his shoulder and Louis feels so out of place. It felt illegal to watch Liam crying in such a vulnerable state.

"Should we leave?" Louis whispers to Niall, who sighs and shakes his head.

"No," He responds. "I reckon Harry'll freak out if you leave."