Higher Form of War

“Me?” Thor asked. 

“Last  year, earth had a visitor form another planet who had a grudge match that leveled a small town.” Nick explained, talking about the first time Thor came to earth. “We learned that not only are we not alone, but we are hopelessly- hilariously out gunned.”

“My people want nothing but peace with your planet.” Thor argued. I looked up at Bruce, the pupils inside his dark brown eyes were starting to dilate and his hand was almost shaking. I’m never one to ever touch people, especially people I like, but I grabbed Bruce’s hand in an attempt to calm him down a little. The expression on his face dropped a little and he started to look down at me but my eyes went to the floor and I watched my feet until his grip on my hand tightened. 

“But you’re not the only people out there, are you? And, you’re not the only threat. The world is filling up with people who can’t be matched, they cant be controlled.”

“Like you control the cube?” Steve asked in a deep voice. 

“Your work with the tesseract is what drew Loki to it , and his allies.” Thor said angrily at me. 

“Hey, back off, she never touched it.” Tony defended. 

“It is a signal to all the other realms that the earth is ready for a higher form of war.”

“A higher form?” Steve asked

“You forced our hand. We had to come up with something-”

“With nuclear deterrent, because that always calms everything right down.”

“Remind me again how you made your fortune, Stark.” Nick snapped. True, Tony did make his money from creating powerful weapons, but he’s past that. He protects people now, not sells thing for them to hurt each other with. 

“I’m sure if he still made weapons, Stark would be neck deep.” Captain said. 

“Wait, wait, hold on, how is this now about me?”

“I’m sorry, isn’t everything?”

“I thought humans were more evolved than this.” Thor said. 

“Excuse me, do we come to your planet and blow stuff up?” Nick asked and they started arguing. 

“You treat your champions with such mistrust.”

“Captain America is under threat watch?” Bruce asked. His grip on my hand was getting tighter and tighter and it was starting to hurt. 

“We all are.” Natasha answered. Everyone was arguing and fussing and I couldn’t even hear anything. 

“Wait, you’re on that list?” Tony asked the Captain. “Are you above or below angry bees?” 

“Stark, so help me God, if you make one more wise crack…”

“Threat! Verbal threat! I feel threatened!”

“Show some respect!”

“Respect what?”

“Hey, Cap, Tony, just cool it, alright?” I said, reaching out to touch Tony’s shoulder but he shrugged my off. 

“You speak of control yet you cause chaos.” Thor’s loud and deep voice boomed.

“This is M.O. isn’t it? I mean what are we, a team? No, no, no, no, we’re a chemical mixture that makes chaos. We’re… We’re a time bomb.”

“You need to step away and let go of her.” Nick said, glancing at my hand which was starting to turn white. 

“Why shouldn’t the guy let off a little steam?” Tony asked, I shot him a death glare that he either didn’t see or ignored. 

“You  know damn well why, back off.” Captain said angrily. 

“Oh, I’m starting to want you to make me.” 

“Yea, big man in a suit of armor, take that off what are you?”

“Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist.”

“I know guys with none of that worth ten of you. Hey, I’ve seen the footage, the only thing you really fight for is yourself. You’re not the guy to make the sacrifice play, to lay down the wire and let the other guy crawl over you.”

“I think I would just cut the wire.” Tony said, the Captain licked his lips and looked around. 

“Always a way out. You know, you may not be a threat but you better stop pretending to be a hero.”

“A hero? Like you? You’re a laboratory experiment, Rodgers. Everything special about you came out of a bottle.”

“And what are you exactly? A metal man?” 

“Yea, pretty much.”

“Put on the suit, let’s go a few rounds.” Captain told him. 

“You people are so petty.” Thor laughed. “And tiny”

“Yea, this is a team.” Bruce said sarcastically. 

“Agent Romanoff, would you escort Doctor Banner to his-”

“Where? You rented my room!” he said, talking about the cell that Loki is in. 

“The cell was just inca-”

“Incase you needed to kill me but you cant, I know, I tried.” he almost yelled.  His grip was extremely tight now and I felt bones popping.  Every one in the room was looking at him, including me. I know how he feels. I tried too, I tried fifteen times to kill myself and  couldn’t. My body just repairs itself and all I have left are scars, I’ve taken enough sleeping pills to kill an elephant and all I did was nap for a few hours. “I got low. I didn’t see an end so I put a bullet in my mouth and the other guy spit it out. So I moved on, I focused on helping people. I was good… until you dragged me back into this freak show and put everyone here at risk. You wanna know my secret, Agent Romanoff? You want to know how I stay calm?” his grip got even tighter and I couldn’t hold it in anymore and yelped. I held onto him with my other hand and tried loosening his hand, it was hurting so bad that I couldn’t breathe. 

“Doctor Banner,” Nick said. “Let go of the girl and put down the scepter.” 

Bruce looked down at our hands and let go very quickly, I leaned against the table gasping for breath as he laid down the scepter.  “Sara… I-I-I-I…”

“It’s okay.” I grunted. 

“Are you okay?” Tony asked, taking a step towards me.

“Yep, yep, I’m fine.” I took a deep breath and stood up. Bruce was looking at me with a horrified expression and when I stepped towards him he took a step back. “Hey, I’m fine, see.” I held out my hand, the purple was already starting to fade.  The computer started beeping, telling us that it had found the Tesseract. 

“Got it!” Tony said.

“Sorry, kids. Guess you don’t get to see my party trick after all.” Bruce said sarcastically and made his way over to the computer. 

“You located the Tesseract?” Thor asked.

“I could get there fastest.” Tony told us.

“The Tesseract belongs on Asgard, no human is a match for it.”

“You’re not going alone!” Captain exclaimed and grabbed for Tony’s wrist and Tony smacked it off. 

“You’re gunna stop me?” Tony popped. 

“Put on the suit, let’s find out.”

“I’m not afraid to hit an old man.”

“Put on the suit.” Captain growled. 

“Oh my god.” Bruce said. I walked over to the computer and stood beside Bruce, who stepped away from me a little. 

“Hey, I’m fine. All you did was break my hand.” I almost whispered, even thought the truth was it was still hurting like a right bitch. A huge explosion blew and he and I fell through the floor onto the next level of the ship. I looked all around myself. I was stuck under a pipe and Bruce was on the ground next to me except he wasn’t under the pipe.