Chapter 7 | Walking on Eggshells

It's a windy tonight and my hair flies all around me, whipping my face.

Honestly, I don't mind.

Having the wind blow through my hair is refreshing and nostalgic, it reminds me of the exciting times before. The feeling consumes me and soon I'm jogging—no running—on the pavement and across the road.

I inhale the fresh air and despite wearing jeans, feel comfortable in what I'm doing.

There's a small park near the shopping center that I usually walk around, but tonight I decide to surround myself with the trees there. It's been a while since I last really ran and a part of me fears I'm getting rusty without training, so this really is a breath of fresh air.

The lights around the park are dim and most of the path is lit by the pale moon. It's completely empty and the only sound I can hear is the wind rushing past the leaves in the trees and the sound of my own footsteps. There aren't that many cars on the road either.

I soon meet the road. Across it is the brightly lit grocery shop.

Before I cross, I pull my hood over my head and down so half of my face is decently hidden and grab a shopping cart from near the sliding doors.

I enter the shop and go through the isles, grabbing the essentials and depositing them into my trolley. I have a list in my head that I go through and tick off as I get more food.

Soon enough, my list is almost complete and the last thing I need to get are eggs.

Clearly I'm efficient in the shops. Blair, you are amazing.

I reach the section with all the eggs and grab a carton, opening it to examine the eggs inside. Fortunately, the eggs are perfectly fine so I turn to put the carton into my trolley. But my foot slips and slides forward. Instinctively, my arms shoot out to place balance, flinging the carton into the air.

Why? Why me?

Not wanting Monday's incident to happen all over again, I straighten up quickly and rush to snatch the flying eggs before they land on the ground and crack.

My actions are naturally swift and I gently catch four eggs by making a nest in my hoodie. I catch two on my right with my free hand and deposit it onto the nest quickly before catching another two that come falling after—thank god they flew up high—and they join their friends, making eight eggs. I catch another and drop it in, one lands safely in the hay-decorated table beside me, not cracking, and I quickly catch another before it lands on the ground.

What a relief.

I blow out a breath of air and add this last egg to the pouch I've made, feeling like a proud mother kangaroo admiring her joey.

Didn't I say I was amazing?

I count the eggs, including the one on the table beside me, and sigh. Yes, I, Blair Justice, have single-handedly saved all eleven eggs of the dozen... wait, eleven?

"I got the shi—what's that on your head?" A voice resembling that of Jake Walter's asks ahead of me.

I don't want to look up. I really don't because I know what may be there to greet may ruin me once again. But I can't not look, I'm already as guilty as a person stealing candy from babies.

Damnit.

I reluctantly take a look and find none other than Jake Walters, who's in a white hoodie and black jeans. His curly blonde hair a bit straighter than before. Jake's green eyes are filled with confusion as he watches his equally tall friend beside him.