Chapter 19 | Another Letter

No matter how hard I try to stop myself, I can't stop thinking about Luke's mission. Even in my free period — when I should be studying or reading — it still hasn't left my mind.

Yet, I understand this. I get why I'm like this. It's because I miss it all; the missions and adventure. The danger. All of it. I was brought up just for the business and it's unusual and unreal that I am not the one doing it.

Falcon is also incredibly lucky for landing such a momentous mission, risky as it is. These things aren't easy to come by and certainly aren't given to young, much less experienced agents. Everyone knew the more riskier the mission, the more respect and credit it gave an Agent.

I let out a sigh and close the book in my hands. With my mind in a limbo, I was simply staring stupidly at the words on the pages.

I glance around, noting the empty library and seeing nothing left for me to do, grab my things and head for the doors.

It's nearly lunch time so I best get a move on to the cafeteria to swipe the good stuff.

Walking quietly down the footpath, I come to a sudden stop when I hear a shriek up ahead. Fearing the worst, I head in the direction of the sound and come to a halt with what I see.

"Fuck off you impaired pigeon!" A familiar voice yells. "I said get lost!"

Oh no.

I suspected something like this to happen, but there's a difference between imagination and reality. Moreover in reality, this shouldn't be happening.

Ashley swings her thick textbook around in an attempt to ward off her flying opponent. Who is this opponent you ask? It is Jeffery, yes the notorious pigeon with one leg.

I shake my head, watching the scene quietly behind a tree.

Jeffery swoops down like a torpedo bomb and I cover my hands over my eyes, but later spread my fingers to see, I'm on edge but not willing to miss the scene.

To my surprise, when Jeffery is near, Ashley aims the textbook at him and throws it. She's bolder than I thought. The flying A.P Biology textbook catches him off guard and with a slap, it hits him. Similar to a shot down fighter jet, he spirals towards the earth with his own screech.

I blink in awe, drop my hand slowly and approach Ashley. Thinking that surely this is an end to that. Jeffery bounces back up. Of course it isn't over. I quickly retract my steps.

If he saw me, I undoubtedly know I'll be fighting with a bird again and my previous experience with two ducks is more than enough for me.

Jeffery sends out a loud warning roar that sounds like he's... choking? Yes ladies and gentlemen. I grimace. Do pigeons carry pride?

However humiliating the cry is, it does not deter Ashley and she laughs like an maniac, "haha you nincompoop! Try me!"

Jeffery gives a piercing glare and flaps his wings, flying up to attack the girl. Jeffery is only so close and I wonder how she'll defend herself without a weapon, and to my horror she... she punches Jeffery?!

"That's... that's not right?!" I gape.

The pigeon crashes into the nearby tree by the bench with what I presume is Ashley's belongings on it.

"And there's more where that came from. Hoe!" Ashley flicks her hair dramatically.

She's crazy. She just punched a pigeon!

Jeffery has to come to his senses and quit fighting with this crazy human now.

He screeches from the tree.