Chapter 1 | Late on the first day

One year later...

The sound of my heart beat is anything but music to my ears as I rush down a hallway and up a flight of stairs, cursing myself for waking up late on the first day of senior year.

Arriving at my history classroom, I pause for a second to calm down before knocking on the door. My history teacher opens the door with a tight-lipped smile.

"The ever punctual Miss Justice." He greets, stepping aside to let me in. His sarcastic introduction leaves me embarrassed and I enter and take a seat in front. I hear people snickering behind me.

"Where was I again?" Mr Daniels shuts the door and returns to the front of the white board. He continues his lesson.

It's a dull introduction meant to motivate us to put 110% in our senior studies. A similar impression is done in my second and third classes. Like many, my eyes watch the clock in third period, waiting for the bell to ring for lunch.

As soon as the bell rings, I get out of my seat and walk out the door. It takes a while for me to get to the cafeteria as the campus of the school is enormous.

Victor High School is a popular school. It's in the heart of the town and the people have a pride in it. It may seem like a public high school, but it's actually private. It follows the American syllabus and includes an IGSCE curriculum as well. The students are considered top pupils, but are rather spoilt if you ask me. Despite all the top facilities the school has to offer, I could not be bothered.

I don't belong here.

Each morning I wake up and tell myself to be patient. There's a prize at the end of the journey after all. I've already made it this far, what reason do I have to turn back?

Maybe the only thing I'll miss is the cafeteria food, which is restaurant quality courtesy of having four well regarded chiefs working. Since coming here, I've taken time to appreciate food as a companion, so I'm always the first in line.

The tanned woman who's serving me is new. Interesting. The cafeteria hardly hires new people.

It takes a single glance for me to memorize her features. Plain brown eyes, a pointed nose, thin lips, platinum blonde-dyed hair, a small mole under her left ear and in her mid-twenties. Definitely a light weight.

My eyes glue themselves to the ravishing food lined up in the glass counters and I tell myself not to drool.

"Today's main is pasta." She says in a cheerful tone. This poor soul will be eaten up alive, is the first thought that comes to mind.

Tsk. Oh well.

I nod. "Cool. Can I get the main then with extra cheese, chicken salad with extra chicken, chocolate mousse, the cheesecake, a red velvet muffin with whipped cream on the side, carrot sticks, the fruit salad with extra watermelon and strawberries, a sausage roll, and a bottle of water." I say in one breath. "Did you get all that?"

Before she can say anything, I hear a ruckus coming from the kitchen.

"Oh no, Chef Michael. I thought you said this one transferred out?"

"What? She's back? Quick, tell the new girl not to give her her unrealistic rations!" The familiar voice of the head chef urges.

I tell the new girl to get a move on.

The young woman has a troubled expression on her face but she quickly jumps to get my order all before the other staff, my only enemies, come out.

I tilt my head to the side and spot something behind her.