Chapter 16 | I Know You

Declan just gave me an envelope.

Confusion washes over me as I blink at the envelope now in my hands. Is this real or am I having a nightmare? — Since this clearly isn't a dream. Why did he giving this to me?

A million questions invade my mind and I'm sure the confusion can be seen on my face so I mask it with nonchalance.

I look up at Declan to find his hazel eyes already on me. I spot something deep within his gaze, but he hides it very well until it's no longer there.

I can't even scan his face for an indication to what this is.

His eyes hold no decipherable message, face displaying no kindness and posture slack, like he doesn't have a care in the world. Only his natural arrogance radiates, thickening the atmosphere around us.

Now I desperately want to leave, but I know I can't just ignore him. That would be too suspicious.

Maybe it's best to act like nothing happened yesterday and get this last interaction over and done with.

"What's this?" I ask, dropping my gaze to the envelope that weirdly has my name written on it — with the worst handwriting I have ever seen in my life, might I add.

He turns his attention back to his locker and slams it shut, making me jump. "It was in my locker." His deep voice answers, surprising me that he actually replied unlike Wednesday evening, when he walked past me like I barely existed.

He returns his eyes to me, uncaring but still with a brooding, intimidating aura. He says firmly, "next time your friends want to send you notes, tell them to put them into the right fucking locker."

I stare at him stunned.

Without another word, he walks off, taking with him the crazy that was just displayed here.

Of course, Declan is literally the human version of a grumpy cat. No, no just a cat but a Jaguar. A big, mean, Jaguar.

I watch his distancing figure, stupefied before I turn my attention to the envelope again that really does say my name. My lips fall into a frown.

Someone sent a letter for me?

Well they mustn't be that bright if they couldn't even slip it into the right locker, now can they? I discard the letter in my bag to read later and take a moment to breathe, because I really wasn't with the demon around.

I might have bumped into Declan just now and he may not have cared, but I do believe I still have every reason to avoid him after the incident. This will never sit right with me.

I decide to continue pretending it never happened but still avoid him at any cost. That'll work.

Now, time to run away before the Jaguar returns.

•••

"Bye, Blair!" Olivia and Delilah bid they as break away from me, walking towards Olivia's car. I wave them off with new peace and continue on my way, ready to enjoy my event-less Friday night and the weekend to follow.

When I arrive home, I fall into my routine of taking a needed shower to rid myself of my disguise and do homework. When I'm done, I have an early dinner and head off for an early night's rest.

After Luke's mockery of my "physical abilities" this morning, I decided I was going to start training again.

The next morning I wake up at 4a.m. for an early morning run. Clad in black leggings and a loose black hoodie, I start off from my house.