Chapter 17 | Kingston Centre

Once I finish the stack of pancakes, I make an excuse to head out and take my leave. They all buy it, except Luke, who snorts. I send him a glare as I leave the kitchen.

My ears pick up footsteps behind me and I turn to see Declan five feet away.

I turn back without saying a word, assuming he's going to take another turn and go to the bathroom or elsewhere. But he continues with me through the living room and to the foyer.

Is he following me? I wonder.

I stop before the front door and step aside. "You can go."

He stops, bringing his indifferent eyes down to me. They linger on my hair for a bit before dropping down to my face.

Having noticed this, I frown, "I said you can go."

I'm met with silence.

After a few seconds of this pin-drop worthy silence, he still hasn't moved. I take another step back and it hits me. I haven't give Luke his German book. I return to the kitchen to leave it and am unfortunately accompanied back by Tyron, who's looking up at me skeptically.

He has his red cape draped across the bottom half of his face like a ninja or a weirdo. Children are very strange creatures.

Declan still hasn't moved from the foyer when we return and I groan in my head.

Bloody go already!

Impatient, I head for the door and jerk it open for myself.

"Why thank you, Claire." Tyron says, his voice muffled with the red material and pushes his way out.

What the?!

Declan rudely trudges past after him.

My eye twitches with annoyance, but I hold it in and walk out last, trying my best not to slam the door behind me.

They get into Declan's Jaguar and I watch as Tyron struggles to get into the booster in the passenger side.

Hmph! Serves him right.

He catches me looking and narrows his eyes, points to me and then his eye.

What is that supposed to mean?

The car pulls out swiftly and aggressively speeds off down the street.

•••

The next day is bright and sunny with only some cloud cover and in this weather, it should assumed that I am not in a good mood.

After all, the treacherous sun has me sweltering in this stupid sweater. However I'm not annoyed as I normally would be. Why? Because today is the day Olivia and Delilah buy me gelato.

"Good day Sensei, how was your morning?" Olivia asks as soon as I get into her Jeep, a smile on her face that's brushed with light makeup.

I buckle myself in and turn to her with a feigned sigh, "well, it was fine until I had to meet my most difficult student."

She looks at me blankly before her jaw drops, "I thought I was your only student?"

"You are." I reply more dejectedly, earning a fake glare from her.