Chapter 22 | The Chase

Olivia gives me an "are you insane?" look.

I shrug, "this will be fun?"

She scoffs in disbelief, "I doubt that Blair. Shouldn't we call the cops? Like... like we have no idea who we're up against..." Her eyes shift to the review mirror with nervousness. I follow her gaze and examine our chasers as best as I can.

There are two men; both of whom are white and slightly buff. I guess they must be tall because I can only see their necks and barely a part of their faces.

The driver is the more muscular of the two, has multiple shiny rings decorating his hands and tattoos along his arms, which I wouldn't have seen hadn't he flexed his muscles, causing his long-sleeve to ever-so-slightly ride up.

The second man in the passenger side has no visible tattoos, but he does have a long, dangling earring—like a golden chain—and a thicker, black chain around his neck with a silver ornament. He's wearing a plain navy blue shirt.

From the jewelry and physiques alone, I estimate both to be in the ranges of 19-25 years old.

Considering that, I'm not too concerned if we have to come across physical altercations with them. I might be physically weaker, but I'm confident in my combat skills.

"Don't worry about that." I wave my hand. "We can totally take them on."

And if hand-to-hand combat doesn't work I have my trusty scissors in my bag to rely on.

For some reason Olivia's eyes widen and she looks at me flabbergasted. "We can take them on? Now I seriously have to ask, who are you and what have you done to Blair Justice?"

Oh. Was that too out of character?

"It's the nerves." I decide to play it off as though I'm embarrassed to admit, "this is how I try to calm myself in scary situations."

Wow. Yeah, that was totally believable Blair.

"Okay..." she looks at me up and down with narrowed eyes of disbelief.

"Quit judging and focus on the road." I snap my fingers.

"Right." She goes back to being serious and then jittery again. "What do we do?"

My lips turn upward, "didn't I say we'd have some fun?"

"No joke, your nervousness or whatever is kind of scaring me now. Why are you smiling? You don't smile!" She cries.

I sigh, "excuse me, it's just I'm not usually so nervous. Don't judge my way of coping with anxiety, okay? Anyway, don't you trust me?"

There's worry and hesitation in her eyes, however she eventually replies, "I trust you're more reliable than Delilah..." I raise an eyebrow. "Okay fine. I am..." She takes another deep breath and breathes out, "... at your disposal."

"At my disposal?" What an odd thing to say.

She looks me seriously. "My life is no longer in my hands... but yours."

"Wait. What—"

"Even if I'm the driver, you take responsibility of whatever accident we're in."