CHAPTER 1

Isabella

There was a big room in the middle of the castle, it had a passage in the middle and two doors, one at the beginning of the passage and one and the end where we first came in when they brought us here.

The room was divided to two parts, when you walk in you can see on your left the newbies and the maids, on the right the "Empress' favorites" as everyone calls them. There was a difference, those favorites were dressed better unlike us, just a simple dress.

We were waiting for the Empress' mother she was the one in charge of sending her daughter women, when she thinks a girl is suitable she'll ask the maids to bath her and dress her very beautiful and she'll be sent to the empress' room.

"Order! Her highness princess Shirah!" The head maid yelled and we all had to go to the front of the room and stand. We had to look at the ground and not talk unless we're talked to. We shall not look at the empress' mother directly in the eyes.

From the corner of my eye I saw an older woman walk in the most beautiful red dress. She had a tanned skin color and very pretty black hair that was pulled back in a neat bun.

I felt hand on the back of my head pushing my head to look at the ground. The head maid glared at me and I just averted my eyes and stared at the ground.

Different footsteps were heard and another woman walked it behind the older one, she was much younger than her.

"I am princess Shirah, Her majesty's mother. And this is Leyla the mother of my daughter's first born" Why was she talking about the empress in such a respectful way, like she was under her as well. Isn't she her mother. We all turned to the younger woman, she had a smirk on her face, like she had won the biggest prize. And then it hit me, if the empress is a woman, how come this lady in front of us gave birth to a child. All thoughts were running through my head and I wasn't paying attention.

"You, the tall one" Princess Shirah said, I looked up to see who she was talking to and to my surprise she was pointing to me.

"What's your name?" She asked walking in front of me, I kept my head down out of respect and fear and replied.

"Isabella" I said loudly not knowing that I'm not supposed to raise my voice. She stared at me for a second and then walked to the girl next to me.

"Her" she said to the maids and left the room followed by the younger woman and two maids.

The head maid walked in front of me and glared at me, I just looked at her confused.

"That was the Empress' mother, you should never raise your voice while talking to her and you call her your highness" she threatened, I was afraid of nobody in here so I walked closer to the head maid.

"And who are you to tell me what to do" I whispered, she was about to raise her hand at me when other maids interrupted her, they had to take the girl who princess Shirah chose for her daughter and bath her then get her ready to go see the empress. I need to find a way to get out of here.

We were asked to do chores around the castle but just in specific places, for example we weren't aloud on the Empress' wing or the garden where the guards were.

"I heard that whoever gave the empress a heir is given so many advantages. She gets to see the empress more often, go out to the garden and even stay in her own room" the girl who was assigned with me said, I think she said her name was Yara. I wasn't here to make friends, I just wanted to have my freedom.

But I need to gain their trust first, maybe if I have those advantages I can use them to get out of here.

"The empress is very generous when she's in a good mood she asks her mother and other maids to give us golden coins" she said again, then maybe if I gather enough money I can give it to someone, one of the guards perhaps and they can help me out. I started to make plans on how to get on their good side and gain their trust, this is will take a while but I'll do anything to leave.

*****************************
What do you think of this so far?

-S