CHAPTER 6

Isabella

The following day, the empress left with her men to hunt. I learnt it was one of her hobbies, she'll leave for a week or two to release work stress.

It's been a very rough week here, even though I was a favorite and I had to study and learn after all of that they'll make me clean already cleaned rooms. I had more work than I used to when I was a maid. Maybe because Lady Leyla felt threatened since her maids were the ones telling me to do things and I had no choice but to comply or I'll be sent to the dungeons. Good thing her majesty will be coming tonight, and even that only the one chosen by her mother are the ones will be sent to her room. So I probably won't see her.

I was cleaning one of the corridors when I heard voice coming down the stairs, I went and hid and eavesdropped on their conversation. The voices were Lady Leyla and her maid.

"The princess promised she was going to send me to the empress, I haven't seen her for while because she was busy but tonight I'll have her to myself" she sounded so excited, I felt a ping on my chest like I was jealous of her, like I didn't want her to go see the empress, I just met her for god's sake why was I talking like this. I waited until they were gone and I got out of my hiding spot.

I was already done with the chores and I can now go rest. I went to my room and sat there bored, maybe I should reconsider running away but my ego will never let me. I have to prove all of them wrong that I'm not a weak maid. I need to prove that first than I can figure out how to run away.

Shay

I have brought a gift for Isabella, I didn't see her since that day and I was happy to go back and see her again. I just arrived to the castle it was very late at night so I went to my room and put the small cage on my desk, I have brought her two beautiful birds.

"Guards!" I yelled, the guards walked inside waiting for my orders.

"Bring Isabella, let her in when she arrives" I said they bowed and left. I took the cage out to the balcony, and put it there until she arrives. A while later, I heard a knock and the door open. I walked out with a smile that soon fell when I saw who it was.

"Leyla?" I was confused what she was doing here, I asked them to bring Isabella.

"My Lord I have missed you and I thought maybe we'd spend sometime together I-"

"I asked for Isabella" I cut her off putting my hands behind my back. She looked hurt with what I said but I didn't care, when I say something it needs to be done.

"You may leave" I said turning around and going back to the balcony. I heard the door open and close again, I know my mother will have something to do with this. She always preferred Leyla but I don't appreciate when she does things against my orders. I walked back inside the room and started pacing around, why was she taking so long. I'll go see her myself then. I grabbed the door handles and pulled it open just to be met with her beautiful brown eyes.

"My Lord you asked to see me?" She bowed respectfully with a smile on her face. I got out the way and let her in. I closed the door and followed her.

"I did" I said walking closer to her, she still had her back turned to me and I went and put my hands and her shoulders. I leaned closer to her ear and whispered.

"I have something for you" I saw goosebumps crawl up her skin and I just smirked. I let go of her and walked to the balcony but I didn't hear any footsteps behind me. I looked back and she was still standing there, her face was red and she was just looking at the ground.

"Isabella?" She looked at me and smiled following me to the balcony. I stopped her at the door and asked her to close her eyes. I grabbed the cage and opened taking a bird out and closing it back again.

"Open your eyes" she did and her eyes widened. She smiled widely and took the small bird out of my hand and pulled it closer to her chest.

"It's so soft" she smiled kissing its head. I just have her a small smile because I was happy she liked my gift. I went and sat next to the balcony on a long chair, I pulled her and made her sit on my lap. She didn't seem uncomfortable on the contrary she made herself comfortable and laid on my chest putting her head on my shoulder. She still had the bird in her hands as she caressed it gently.

"Thank you, I'll have them to keep me company when you leave" she mumbled, so she did miss me as well. She pulled her head up and looked at me. Our faces were so close I didn't even notice how close we actually were until she started to lean in. I felt her lips on mine giving me a small kiss.

  She kissed me and then pulled back to look at me to make sure I wasn't mad. I gave her a small smile and kissed her back. I just met her and she's already consuming my thoughts.

***********************
Do you think Isabella has feelings for the empress?

-S