Chapter 25: After

"Tragaleche! Get your ass out here now!"

"Fuck you alright, I don't need this shit!" Mario shoveled his clothes into his sports bag, anger coursing through him. The usually confident Alec was at his window, as anxious as ever.

"Mario, are you sure you wanna do this?" Alec insisted. "Their your parents, you sure you don't wanna talk to them at all?"

"You fucking hear him?" Mario gestured incredulously to the pounding on his door, slurs shouted with ease. Directed at his own damn kid. Mario tsked. "Got nothing to say." He grabbed his duffel, tucking his soccer ball under his arm.

"You leave with him kid then don't fucking bother coming home!" He handed his shit to Alec before throwing himself out the first story window.

"Man, can you slow down and think for like 2 seconds? Mario!"

He hopped into Alec's passenger seat, grabbing at his things from the sputtering man. He left no room for the guy to argue and after a moment he won, Alec clambering in.

The drive was quite. Alecs hands gripped the steering wheel tight and Mario focused his sights outside the window at the slushing of dirty shit colored snow paving the streets as music blared and cleared his head.

He knew what his dad was like, he'd known for a long time. It wasn't all that uncommon with his family and a lot of the brown families he knew.

People like him, he guessed. With those..thoughts. It was unnatural, that's just how it was. You weren't really raised to think any different.

Maybe that's why he was so angry all the time. Why he got so pissed off. He'd known how he felt about Alec for a long fuckin time. And he'd known all the shit that was talked behind the man's back. Too feminine, too crazy.

But that was never enough to make Mario resent him or want to cut him out of his life. They were ride or die, that's just what it was. He wasn't gonna let some bitter el viejo tell him otherwise.

Mario shook his head at the hand gripping his but clutched it back in his anger, holding it firm in his lap.

Uncle Dante came into view, the pounding knocks on the door coming to a halt. He stared suprised at who it was. Mario was the last person on earth he was expecting to see. He looked between the two and then the duffel bag. He just tsked unfortunately, beginning to step aside.

"What, did your papa find out about you two?"
Mario's eyebrows scrunched in confusion, taking a step back. "What?"

"Come on chamaco, give me some credit. I know things." He raised his arms defensively, easy smirk on his lips. He gestured with a nod of his head. "Get in here."

They did so slowly, the face Alec gave him saying  'Daaamn your uncle just got so much hotter'. Mario rolled his eyes, knocking his elbow into the guys ribs to get him to quit it.

"So..what did he say?"

"Something along the lines of..be a fag or be with family. Basically that."

Uncle Dante shook his head. He lead them to the kitchen which had freshly made picadillo and white rice. Uncle Dante's girlfriend was there also, pulling a tray of pastalitos out of the oven.

They looked about ready to have a nice dinner together and Mario was surprised at the guilt he felt, dropping in and ruining their night with his shit.

"Don't be mad at your dad. You know how me and him and Joey were all raised. -

"-traditional" Him and Alec chimed in over his words, even mimicking the fuck boy accent his grown uncle had going on. Dante rolled his eyes but continued in his defense.