1- A New Life

I could feel the freezing, cold wind rushing past my my body. It was blowing the freshly washed golden locks past my face as I stared out mindlessly to the stars above me in the deadly night sky.

Light drizzles of rain ran down the back of my neck as I moved my gaze down to my bare legs. I wasn't really thinking about anything in particular, but thinking about everything all the same. 

I wasn't cold. This was probably the coldest night that England had had this summer, but I still wasn't cold. 

I heard my mother and father shouting at each other faintly, but I was able to tune them out easily. Glass shattered somewhere from inside the house but I kept my sight down at my legs. 

Goosebumps started dancing on my skin as the rain continued making its way around my small figure. It felt like hundreds of mini ants trying to eat me alive but I wasn't bothered.  

Looking around the neighbourhood, I realized that nobody else has there lights on, so it must be late. 

Sighing, I climbed back through my window and onto my bedroom floor. The stupid carpet finding ways to get in between my toes, making me uncomfortable. 

Resisting the want to tear it apart in one go, I quickly changed into my pyjamas, discarding the wet clothes on the floor.

I fell back onto my bed, allowing the soft covers to welcome me in.

My wet hair immediately soaked the pillow as soon as contact was made. It didn't annoy me though because I was very tired but it might have any other night. 

I don't want to sleep. School starts tomorrow which marks the end of summer, meaning if I sleep it comes sooner.

I'll be year nine when I wake up tomorrow. It's crazy to think about that I'm already year nine, I swear just two weeks ago I was finishing year six.

Thoughts kept running through my head, its just like any other year. Why am I freaked out? 

Attempting to ignore the thousands of thoughts racing through my mind, I closed my eyes and tried not to think of tomorrow but instead of the new music disc my mum had got me that I hadn't had the chance to listen to yet. 

I think it was called something like mellohi? 

I started making up different tunes in my head of what it might sound like, calming myself slowly. 

I really loved music, Mum let me take piano lessons but I didn't have one at home so I couldn't practise as much as I wanted to. 

The world seemed to still around me as I sunk into a dreamless sleep, now ready for the next day ahead of me. 

I groaned as sunlight hit my eyes causing them to jump open. Stretching, I got up then headed over to my wardrobe to get my uniform for the day. 

I almost forgot I had school if I'm being honest, with all the panic last night I never would have thought that I would be absolutely fine right now. 

Grabbing my bag, I headed out my bedroom door and down the stairs, stopping at the bathroom on the way there.

I skipped the steps two at a time, walking to the kitchen as I smelt pancakes being made. I love my mum's homemade pancakes, they are always the best.

"Heya honey! How are you? Excited for the first day of school?" She asked me, turning to face me with a smile.

"Hi Mum! I'm alright, little nervous but I'll be fine!" I replied back, trying to match her enthusiasm.

"Good good! Eat up, you don't want to be late!" She put a plate down on the table in front of me, along with a knife and fork.

I said a quick thanks and ate two pancakes before getting up to catch the bus.

The journey to school was uncomfortable. Children of all ages fitted onto a bus together, more children than seats. It wasn't ideal but it got me where I needed to go.

Walking into school felt like walking through a zoo.

There was people every where running every which way, books flying everywhere, and kids screaming.

I put my head down and walked as fast as I could to the desk to get my schedule.

I wasn't exactly popular, I didn't have many friends if even any. I would hang out with this group of people but I wouldn't call them friends as they act like I'm not even there.

I got to my classroom just as the bell rang and hurried inside so I wouldn't get pushed about by the popular kids.

After making my way over to my desk, I took out my books and pencil case and started waiting for the lesson to start.

Lessons came and went and soon it was lunchtime. I took out my lunch and sat down at the table I usually sit at. (Cafeteria food is shit.)

"Lexi!? Lexi are you okay!?" I heard  someone shout. They sounded terrified, genuinely terrified so I whipped my head around and almost screamed myself at what I saw.

Alexandra Lee was lying on the ground limp, food sticking out of her mouth and wide eyes.

I think she's dead.

Alexandra was merily the first of many to go.

From that moment on, for exactly three months, children dropped dead by a deadly disease they labelled as "CAC"

I don't know what it stands for and I don't know why nobody will tell me, the only thing I know is that this is bad.