17 - That Feeling

More and more people started turning up to the clearing, which surprised Tommy because it was quite a closed off area.

It didn't concern him as much as it probably should have though.

They were running out of tents. Yes, some people brought their own but others didn't and the group didn't have any more themselves. So currently, there were about three people to each one person tent.

Security measures had been put in place, they weren't the best but they done the job.

As for food-- well every day a group of about four or five would go out and scavenge. If a member was in danger the rules were to assess the situation and help any way you can but if there is no way to help you run. If someone is following you, you are to run the opposite direction, under no circumstances are you to bring them near.

A small election was placed and Tommy was elected leader of the party, but sometimes it didn't feel like Tommy was in charge. To Tommy, it felt more like Dream was in charge. Tommy often found himself doing all kinds of things for Dream without even registering he was doing it, like he wasn't in control. Dream was Tommy's friend though so Tommy always brushed of the absurd thoughts that maybe Dream was controlling him like a red. He wouldn't do that, they are friends.

Tommy sighed as he sat in his tent. Michael was doodling on the floor with some crayons and paper some dude brought in, Tubbo and Ranboo were off doing something that Tommy didn't really know, Dream was looking over plans he had written out.

No matter how many times Tommy asked Dream what his plans were, Dream would never show him. That always made Tommy feel uneasy but then he'd forget and move on like nothing happened.

It was strange, if anybody knew one thing about Tommy was that he was stubborn. He wouldn't just forget and move on with something like this?

Tommy wouldn't admit it but he was always curious about Dream. One minute they would be laughing and joking like they'd known each other for years (it had actually only been two weeks), then the next moment Dream wouldn't talk to him for hours as he was busy planning something he wouldn't even give Tommy a hint of what it was.

Bringing a hand up to flick his blond hair out of his eyes, Tommy stood up and began walking towards Michael.

He sat down on the floor beside him and lifted a crayon and page from beside him. Michael was mindlessly just drawing scribbles and Tommy was hit with the sudden realisation that Michael never learnt to draw, read or write.

That's when he had an idea.

"Hey Michael? What do you say I teach you to write?" Tommy asked him hopefully. If Michael could write then maybe he could communicate without speech!

Michael looked up from his drawing into Tommy's eyes then back at his drawing again. He did this about three times before slowing nodding.

Tommy cheered victoriously before showing Michael how to hold his crayon correctly.

"Normally we'd use a pen or pencil but we don't have either of those so a crayon will have to do. Now place your hand like this-- no move that finger like this-- there we go!"

"Now I'm going to write out the alphabet, you know the alphabet right?" Tommy asked earning a nod, "But you don't know how to write it?" Tommy gained yet another nod and he smiled.

Tommy wasn't a trained teacher but he was sure with time he could do this. Hopefully.

Hours ticked away as Tommy wrote out the alphabet and explained each letter and its sounds to Michael. He taught Michael how to write 'Michael' and after he mastered that how to write, 'Tommy', 'Tubbo', and 'Ranboo'.

Voices in Tommy's mind screamed at him to teach him how to write Theseus but Tommy ignored them. It was classified information and Tommy couldn't get ahead of himself.

Soon the daylight drowned into darkness and they decided to call it a day.

Michael couldn't wait for his next lesson, he was so excited to finally be learning.

Tommy counted that as a success and praised himself for his 'manly teaching skills,' as he had called them, (Michael just giggled at him).

Before Tommy went to sleep he made sure everyone in the 'campsite' was safe and that the person in lookout was there and doing their job.

Closing up the tent Tommy felt a weird, unfamiliar feeling creep into his chest, it was like he knew something was going to happen tonight but he had no idea what.

Shivers crawled Tommy's spine as he climbed under the old, thin blanket and carefully turned off the lantern (it didn't really work that well but it gave some kind of light).

Tommy closed his eyes and drifted of to sleep but that feeling wouldn't go away.

a/n

this is kinda just a filler chapter, haha.