Chapter 14

The remainder of the night passes as blissful oblivion.

I awake and for the briefest of moments I think that I am back in my old attic apartment in the City. The conversations humming outside my door are the vendors and patrons in the market below, trading wares and swapping stories. I wonder if Harold will have a roll of bread to share this morning, and whether there will be enough activity in the Court to risk picking a few pockets.

I roll over on the thin mattress and am immediately brought back to the present. I am not high above the City but rather deep underground. The damp chill soaks into my bones and I suppress a shudder. I am a girl meant for the light, not the dark.

Sitting up I stretch my arms over my head and revel in the sensation of having experienced a good night's sleep for the first time in many weeks. I make a mental note to ask Cade for some more of that bode tea.

Immediately I feel a pang of guilt. I shouldn't be rested and comfortable, not when Will is out in the middle of the desert waiting for me, probably worried and anxious. I need to focus on getting Jaron's consent to meet with Meg so that I can bring him back to Phoenix as soon as possible. Enough of this loafing around, I have work to do.

There is a light tap against the metal frame of my shack. I stand and move to open the door, crossing the small space in a single stride.

Luca is waiting for me. He offers a cursory nod and steps back, wordlessly inviting me outside.

"Good morning." I greet him, stifling a yawn as I lean back against the doorframe.

"I assume you are hungry." His voice is still thick with sleep but his eyes are as bright as ever, matching my gaze intently.

"You assume correctly. Will we be meeting with your brother?" I prod, keeping my tone light.

"Jaron is not here. He and Rowan led out a hunting party first thing this morning."

"He left?" I don't bother to hide my annoyance.

Something pulls at Luca's mouth before he catches himself and straightens his face. "Be easy. He will return tonight; you will get your chance to speak with him then."

"Oh. In that case, I believe you mentioned something about food?" I pull my hair over my shoulder, braiding it haphazardly.

His eyes flick down to the ends of my hair and back up again. "Yes. We will have to fetch it."

"Fetch it? From where?"

He slings a bow out from under his shoulder, handing it to me.

I take the weapon from him and study it before glancing back up, letting a slow smile spread over my face.

"Come." He indicates over his shoulder towards the exit. "Let's go hunting."

I match his long stride as we make our way through the room, both of us weaving expertly between the people and houses. We take the stairs two at a time, the sounds of the crowd below us gradually ebbing away until Luca pushes aside the cloth draped in front of the entrance. Suddenly, we are outside.

I take a deep breath, drawing my shoulders back and shutting my eyes as I revel in the hot desert breeze and the sensation of a million miniscule fragments of sand tickling my skin. My heart immediately feels lighter, freer. I feel like myself.

When I open my eyes Luca is standing a little ways off, watching me. I notice that his leg is no longer bandaged and wonder if he could be healed so quickly. Perhaps the Wasters have some medical secrets; the tea Cade gave me could certainly be considered akin to magic.