Chapter 26

The sun filtering in through the open roof of the courtyard does little to alleviate my sour mood. I adjust the crutch under my shoulder, grimacing as I tentatively place some weight on my bad leg. A dull throb shudders from my knee up to my hip and I bite my lip to keep from yelling out with frustration.

Sinking down onto a bench I cast the crutch forcefully away, flinching when it strikes the stone path. I slump forward, elbows to knees as I bury my hands in my hair. This feeling of uselessness, of being trapped within the Palace walls awakens old and unwelcome memories. Without a working leg I can't go to the Outer City to confront Grayson, I am as useless as some pre-Rebellion Courtier.

Meanwhile, there is still no word on Meg's condition. Every day she remains asleep increases the level of tension within the City. People go about their business robotically, their shoulders visibly slumped and their footsteps trudging. More than once I have caught the edge of a conversation whispered from the corners. There are rumours that she has died already and talk of Grayson preparing to take the throne.

I lift my head from my hands at the sound of a familiar tread atop the stone path. Will crosses the courtyard towards me. His jacket and collar are unbuttoned, his rumpled appearance suggesting that he is just returning from the day's training. My throat dries at seeing him and I swallow bodily, straightening.

He notices my discarded crutch and stoops down to retrieve it, carrying it over to me and leaning it carefully up against the bench.

He sinks down onto the bench next to me, quirking a tired half-grin. We remain just far enough apart that we won't run the risk of our arms brushing up against one another.

"How was training?" I ask.

He shrugs. "As well as could be expected. The Wasters who joined up had their own ideas about technique and there were some spirited discussions."

I smirk. "Spirited, is that right?"

"Lively, even." His half-grin lifts a little higher to give me the hint of his dimple. I look away quickly, concentrating on the pattern my toe creates on the sandswept stone.

"So, judging by the fact that I found your crutch halfway across the yard, I'm going to guess that the healing isn't coming along the way you hoped it would." He continues.

"How perceptive of you."

"Do you want me to take a look at it?"

I look up abruptly. "What?"

"Don't get me wrong, I have every faith in my sister's doctoring abilities but she is still only an apprentice." He keeps his tone light and I narrow my eyes in suspicion.

I shake my head abruptly. "It's fine. You don't have to do that."

"I don't mind."

"You're the commander of the Queen's army, Will. I think it would be a bit undignified for you to be examining your-" I stop, biting my lip, at a loss for the next word.

He shifts slightly, pretending not to have noticed my near-slip. "Just because I'm a commander now doesn't mean that I've forgotten everything that came before." His eyes dart down and up again. "I'm still the same....physician I was when we met."

I can't help the sad smile that pulls at my mouth. "A lot has happened since then."

He is quiet for a long time, studying me until I lose my nerve and look away. "I hate seeing you like this, Kay."

"Like what?" I watch the couples strolling back and forth across the yard, heads bent low in conversation. They all seem so at-ease with one another.