Chapter 46

The airship drifts silently across the night sky. I stand at the bow, peering through the darkness, trying vainly to make out the faint glimmer of Babel. The moon is full tonight, illuminating the crests of the dunes and the disabled radio towers. I keep my gaze trained to the East, waiting for the moment when the dome will first make its appearance.

Jaron steps up next to me. Fully decked in his Waster war gear, he appears twice his usual size and infinitely more fearsome. We are both wearing heavy leather armour over our chest and shoulders, our hair tied back tightly and our faces decorated with swirls of blue paint.

"You should say something to them." He murmurs.

I start, craning my neck and looking up at him. "The soldiers? We are under your command, Chief."

"Yes, but it is you who inspires them."

I glance over my shoulder. Luca, Rowan and the rest of our crew are sitting or standing around the tightly-packed ship, similar looks of grim determination etched across their respective features. Since we will be dropping in from above, our company is made up of the quickest and most agile- primarily Wasters. Everyone here is fully aware that they have signed up for an extremely dangerous mission; they are warriors through and through.

I am a nineteen year-old thief from the City, what could I possibly say to a troop of battle-hardened Wasters?

Luca catches me looking at him and glances up from where he is re-stringing his bow. His mouth pulls into a tight line and he gives me a curt nod.

I nod back. Until last night, I had no idea that this quiet hunter had such a violent history. If we manage to survive this, I will have to ask him about it. For now, I'm just glad that he is on our side.

I draw a deep breath, pulling my shoulders back and fingering the hilt of the sword at my waist. Each one of us is equipped with a bow and a sword, spear or staff for the inevitable hand-to-hand combat. In addition to my weapons, I also have Gus' radio and my father's dagger strapped to my belt. Even armed to the teeth, I can't escape the nagging feeling of dread writhing inside my stomach. I ignore it as best I can, clearing my throat in a shaky effort to command the warriors' attention.

"My friends," I begin, my voice sounding stronger than I feel. "I wish to say a few words to you."

At once, a hundred pairs of eyes are trained on me, curiosity and conviction ringing clear.

"There are not enough words in the world for me to properly express my admiration for your courage." I cough once, fighting the wave of emotion that threatens to overtake me and replacing it with a steely resolve. "The bravery you are displaying tonight is nothing short of heroic. The role we play in this battle will be remembered as one of sacrifice. Our actions will play a crucial part in the successful rescue of our comrades. The longer we fight, the more we save."

There are some murmurs of agreement and a couple of people release a supportive whoop. Luca gives me the smallest of grins and I press on.

"Wasters and Miners have overcome a great deal in these past months." I look up at Jaron and he places a heavy hand on my shoulder. "We have seen past our differences, combined them to create strengths, and by working together, have finally managed to uncover the truth. We have found the people the desert stole from us and now, we going to take them back!"

A great, unified cheer nearly knocks me off my feet. I feel Jaron's hand tighten on my shoulder as he helps to keep me upright.

"What right does the Madam have to our brethren's blood? How dare she try to pit us against one another like puppets? She has made a grave and costly mistake in crossing us, and now, she will pay!" I scream over the chorus of shouts, a hundred staffs and swords pounding against the wooden deck of the ship.