Chapter 44

We step through the heavy hatch door, Marc at my heels while the rest of the fifty or so Miners and Wasters bring up the rear. My breath is deafening in my ears as I lead the group up the wide set of stairs towards the surface. The air around us is cool and stagnant, protected by the impassive walls that make up the dome.

We reach the top of the stairs and step out onto the cobbled path. Dark farmland stretches out on both sides of us, illuminated only by the barest shards of moonlight. I make a hard turn off the path and into the pitch-black field, continually scanning the area around us, my eyes straining to pick out any movement.

Gods, there is no feeling I hate more than this; the realization that I am incredibly exposed and vulnerable. Worse still, it is not only my own safety that I am responsible for.

I can see the rickety stairs to the grid up ahead, set flush against the wall of the dome. Beelining straight for it, I glance over my shoulder at the snaking collection of people. To my trained eyes we appear incredibly conspicuous, our footsteps thrashing against the high stalks of grass and our silhouettes prominent to anyone who would care to look closely. Steady, Kay. Just a few more feet.

We move quickly across the exposed ground, the stronger people helping the more malnourished across the uneven terrain. Finally reaching the stairs, I skip lightly up, glancing skyward while keeping my eyes peeled for any sign of Lara. The grid seems abandoned for the moment, but we have a long way to go.

I pause at the second level landing, leaning over the guardrail and scanning the ground below. I catch sight of Will and Gus ushering the last of our charges up the steps and relax slightly. We are still susceptible to anyone patrolling the grid, but at least we are no longer on the ground. As if sensing my gaze, Will glances up, catching my eye and nodding grimly. Keep going.

"You all right?" Marc whispers close to my ear. I give him a tight smile in response and turn back to the next set of stairs, ignoring the hammering in my chest.

The sound of many booted and bare feet against the iron gridwork is positively maddening. My head aches with the strain of having to constantly scan the perimeter, deciphering the shadows and various crevices as threats or empty space. I lean out once or twice to check on our progress. Gods, it just goes on and on.

Nearing the fourth landing I slow my pace, placing a hand out to Marc. He draws to a stop, signalling a halt down the line. I slow my breathing and concentrate, willing my eyes to adjust to the worsening darkness as I fight to make sense of the shadow overhead.

"Wait here." I murmur.

I clamber on top of the railing and pull myself up to the next level, sidling sideways so that I can approach the figure from behind. The people below me press themselves against the wall and I catch a glimpse of the occasional upturned face as they watch my progress.

I perch silently on the last railing, not even daring to breathe as I examine the person waiting impassively. She turns and I release an audible sigh of relief, startling Lara who drops her satchel with a shuddering clang.

"Keep it down!" I hiss, stepping onto the iron platform. I lean over the rail and give a low whistle. A moment later the grid beneath my feet shudders with fifty pairs of feet resuming their progress upwards.

"You scared the life out of me." Lara stoops down to retrieve her satchel, hugging it tightly against her chest.

"Good. If you didn't see us coming, then maybe an a Enforcer won't be able to, either."

Lara's eyes widen as she takes in the snaking line of people working their way up towards us. "Gods, Kay. How many are there?"

"We ran into some difficulties." I explain. Marc appears next to me, eyeing Lara with a mild curiosity.