Chapter 38

Hell is a feat of engineering.

The Irrigator is massive. The drill is on the scale of something alien, its circumference being the equal of two City blocks. The layer of condensation coating the outside of the drill reflects the flickering lanterns dotting the walls and casts an ominous orange light over the cavernous space.

We step out onto the platform wrapping around the Irrigator's girth. My ears ring with the deafening roar of the drill's innerworkings and I strain through the eerie halo of water droplets to see the very top and very bottom of the gargantuan machine.

The top of the Irrigator continues on high over our heads, disappearing into the roof of the underground chamber. I crane my neck and peer upwards through the mist. If I concentrate I can make out a network of smaller water pipes stretched across the roof and connecting around the width of the Irrigator. Dozens of tubes, each with its own specific destination, running from the Irrigator to each of Babel's various aboveground water outlets.

I rake my eyes down the length of the drill, noting the way its smooth metal exterior is pocked by patches of steel sheets and screws. The mechanical beast shudders and whirs violently, casting droplets of water over the ledge of the platform we are standing on. The floor prevents me from seeing anything below our feet and the various patrolling Enforcers block me from moving closer to the ledge.

A sense of dread sits heavy on my chest. I have a feeling that I am just seeing the tip of the iceberg. One thing's for certain; I need to get closer.

"Keep moving." Lara nudges me with her bony elbow and I start, tearing my eyes away from the Irrigator and falling into step behind her. The circular platform below our feet is carved from the stone walls and wraps around the entirety of the Irrigator. Enforcers, clad in their trademark dark, layered garb stand at various states of attention around the perimeter of the chamber. The display reminds me of something I've seen before, deep in the Palace gaol.

The difference being that this time I am unarmed and a good deal further from escape. My disguise isn't a sword and a gender; it's a trayful of food and a scantily-clad traitor with comely hips.

At this moment Lara is swaying said hips as she strides towards the first Enforcer reclined against the wall.

"Hey, Lara. I was hoping you'd be coming by today." The man, little more than a boy, straightens at our approach and flashes Lara a dimpled grin. "How have you been?"

"Hello, Gus." She smiles back, but it isn't the false, sickly-sweet version she reserves for her paying customers. It seems genuine. "I've been well, thank you."

"Glad to hear it." He nods to me, extending a hand. "Pleased to meet you. I'm Gus."

"Abby." We shake.

"Abby is new to Babel. I'm showing her the ropes." Lara brings her tray down, expertly plating an assortment of food and handing the assembled bowl to Gus. "She's never seen the Irrigator before."

"No kidding? It's really something. Do you want to take a closer look?"

"I'd love to." I say, with what I hope is the appropriate amount of eagerness.

"No problem. One word of caution: there's no barrier and the damp stone can get pretty treacherous at this height." Gus places his bowlful of food on the ground. "So I'm afraid I can't bring you right up to the ledge."

My heart sinks slightly but I press on. "That's fine, I'd be interested in getting as close as you deem safe." I throw in a shy smile for good measure.

"In that case, follow me." He extends an arm to Lara and she loops her hand through the crook of his elbow. I hang back, letting them walk ahead as Gus leads us towards the drill. I take the opportunity to look back up to the ceiling, considering the network of water pipes overhead as I trace their paths from the various tunnels branching off the main chamber. I turn the possibilities over in my mind, biting down hard on my lip as I think.