Chapter 29

To his credit, Grayson puts up very little fuss when we usher him from the smoky room and down to the stables. He stumbles in an opium haze, sniffling and averting his gaze, following Will meekly while I trail behind, keeping a weather eye on his movements.

We meet Suze near the front entrance of the estate. She appears rightfully surprised to see us escorting the bleary-eyed and red-faced Grayson but her questions are placated when Will explains that her former Lord will be spending some time in the City in preparation for our Wasteland war.

Our horses are saddled readily and we clamber up, turning our backs on the estate and heading into the crowded streets. I stifle a groan at the feeling of Ladybird's unforgiving saddle beneath my thighs, wishing fervently that we could have had a longer rest before returning to the desert.

The sun is just beginning its descent by the time we clear the final crumbling building and enter the Wastelands. Grayson has calmed somewhat and seems resigned to his fate, riding between Will and I with his shoulders slumped and head lowered.

I give Ladybird a little kick and draw her up next to Grayson's horse, studying him intently. He deliberately avoids my gaze, shivering slightly in the cooling air.

I make an attempt at being conversational. "Tell me something, Lynal, because there is a part of this story that I still don't fully understand."

He doesn't respond but I assume he is listening and press on.

"I see how both you and the Madam could stand to benefit from your little arrangement. She receives a neverending supply of innocent people to do with whatever she sees fit, and you get to rule over the City and reinstate the Courtiers. Makes sense, seems fair. Do you follow me so far?" To get his attention I kick his shin, connecting solidly with the toe of my boot.

He lets out a choked sound, his face growing red. Reluctantly he rolls his head to look over at me. I keep my face impassive, waiting. Will rides on ahead but I have no doubt that he is hanging on to every word.

"I've got it right so far, haven't I?" I demand.

"Yes." He hisses.

"Good. Now, stay with me. You used Rowan as a pawn in order to kill Meg. Unsurprising, really. I just assumed that you and your friends were too cowardly to do the dirty work yourselves."

His face darkens further. "What's your point?"

"I'm getting to it." I narrow my eyes. "It's your connection to Rowan that confuses me. How did you come to know her?"

"We were introduced."

"By whom?"

"I don't know his name." He breaks eye contact and looks blankly out into the desert.

"He works for the Madam?"

"Yes, obviously." That familiar sneer returns and I fight the urge to give him another, harder kick.

"And he just what, showed up out of thin air? Appeared one day on your doorstep? Said, 'Hey, I have a handy Waster that you can use to solve that pesky Queen problem you've been having.'?" My impatience is getting the better of me. Luckily, I no longer have to be polite.

I'm surprised that he has enough grace to appear slightly embarrassed. "In so many words, yes."

Will looks back at me and we exchange a look. I furrow my brow and bite the inside of my lip, thinking, directing another question at Grayson. "You had never met him before? Never heard of the Madam?"

"I had never met him before." He deliberately avoids acknowledging my second statement.

"So you did know about her." He stays silent, not denying anything. "How?"