Chapter 23

I throw myself forward, grabbing Meg by the shoulders and shoving her down, landing inelegantly on top of her. I feel the brush of the arrow as it whizzes by my hair, ricocheting off the wall an instant later and clattering down the alley.

I roll off of Meg, keeping hold of her arm and pulling her hurriedly to her feet, looking over my shoulder towards the shooter. They have disappeared around the front of the pub, likely reloading.

I take a cursory glance of the alley, cursing the lack of cover. "Stay behind me and keep low." I hiss. Together we dart quickly across the narrow space towards some empty ale barrels. I pull Meg down next to me just as another arrow glances off the stone.

"Now what?" Meg breathes.

I pat the pockets of my pants and tunic, abhoring my lack of foresight. "Give me something I can throw."

Wordlessly she slides a heavy gold bangle off of her wrist, handing it over to me almost apologetically.

"That will do." I take it from her and hurl it with all my strength at the single lit lantern, ducking a moment later when another arrow strikes the barrel in front of us. There is a satisfying smash as the bracelet finds its mark and the lantern crashes to the ground, coating us in darkness.

"Now, move." I push her deeper into the alley. We stay crouched, moving quickly into the encroaching blackness. All of my senses are on high alert, my ears strained for the sounds of anyone following us while I desperately will my eyes to adjust to the darkness. We just have to make it to the street on the other side, then I can vanish with Meg.

The silence is the most terrifying thing I have ever heard.

"Just a little further." I whisper. In the dim light I can barely make out her head nodding in agreement. We creep forward a few more steps, the narrow gap between the walls now only a few yards away.

I stop abruptly, grabbing Meg's ankle to hold her in place. Glancing up the side of the building next to me, my eyes trace the light dusting of pebbles trickling down from the roof.

A weighted shadow drops down upon us. I barely have enough time to turn onto my back and kick out, deflecting the attacker and slamming them into the wall opposite. Meg lets out a shriek as the heavily-cloaked figure scrambles almost instantly to his feet, swinging his lethal spear out in front of him.

I can immediately see that he has the advantage of reach within the tight quarters. The deadly length of the spear effectively cuts off both of our exits. I grab my dagger, short and paltry in comparison. This is not going to end well.

The spear is thrust forward with savage precision, ripping the sleeve of my shirt as I duck and roll towards him, crossing the narrow gap and swinging my leg out. I connect fluidly with his calf, sweeping his feet out from under him. The person falls and I dive for the spear, grabbing hold and receiving a solid fist to the ear for my efforts.

My head rings as something sticky trickles down my neck. I grip the spear more firmly, punching out with my free hand and connecting with the heavy mass above me. I twist the dagger in my hand and swipe madly, tearing the swaths of fabric concealing my attacker's face. He's heavier than me but the adrenaline coursing through me body gives me the strength I need to block his punches. I switch tactics abruptly and shove my forearm into his nose, resulting in a satisfying crack.

I take advance of the momentary distraction and roll out from under him, using the spear as leverage and coming down hard on his neck with my elbow. He gasps and releases his weapon to claw at his throat. I kick the spear away and Meg scrambles forward to grab it, staying a safe distance back but keeping the lethal point leveled at the man on the ground. My ears are still ringing and I shake my head to clear it, releasing the pressure on his throat slightly but keeping the tip of my dagger close to his eye so that there will be no misunderstanding.