Chapter 27

Cade keeps one hand beneath my elbow, steadying me as I rush up the spiral staircase to the fourth floor. My leg begins to stiffen as I climb but I push through with a single-minded intention: to get to Meg.

The guard stationed outside the door of Meg's room seems tired but at-ease. She shoots me a friendly smile as the door opens on silent hinges and I am finally admitted into the sun-lit bedroom.

Meg is propped-up against the pillows, talking quietly with the young maid adjusting her bedsheets. She glances up when I come in, relief settling over her pale features. Her normally bright eyes are sunken and her voluminous black hair is flat, sticking to her forehead, but she is awake. And she is alive.

"My Kay." Her voice is scratchy with disuse and causes moisture to pinprick behind my eyes.

Cade remains respectfully in the doorway and accepts my crutch when I hand it to him. The maid brushes by me on her way out, joining Cade in the hall and pulling the door closed quietly behind them. I hop on one leg over to Meg's bed, climbing up onto the plush mattress and sinking down into the cushions, careful not to jostle her.

"I was so scared, Meg." I whisper as her cool fingers settle in my tangled hair, absentmindedly smoothing the strands away from my face.

She shushes me before sighing heavily, her breaths falling into a soothing rhythm. We remain that way for a long while, dozing intermittently as the sun gradually paints her spacious bedchamber varying hues of white and pale gold.

"Does it hurt?" I ask, after a time.

"Not really. A little sore but mostly it's just numb." She rolls her shoulder back, grimacing slightly. "How about you?"

"I'm fine. I wasn't the one playing Sleeping Beauty for three days." I tilt my head up to look at her. "I hope you are feeling rested by now."

She laughs softly. "Don't take this the wrong way, sweet friend, but you've looked better." Her brow wrinkles in concern as she cups my chin and turns my head this way and that. I roll my eyes impatiently, jerking away.

"It's a good thing that I was never much of a looker to begin with." I finger my busted lip, noting that the swelling has gone down a fair amount. I wonder what Meg would have to say if she saw me three days ago when I had one arm hanging limp and useless and one leg propped up on pillows.

"Your charming personality shall always compensate for your bloody scrapes." She presses one of the bruises on my forehead playfully, laughing again when I cry out and swat her away.

"You are clearly feeling better." I remark as I rub my head, attempting a scowl but unable to keep the grateful smile from pulling at my lips.

"I'm told that I have Jaron's medicine man to thank for that."

"Cade." I indicate the crackling dressing covering my knee. "He fixed me up as well."

"What is that?" She wrinkles her nose.

"I'm not entirely sure." I bend my knee experimentally, grinning up at her in triumph. "It smells horrible but it did the trick."

I scoot further up on the bed, indicating that she should lean forward while I peek at the dressing on her back. Her shoulder is also covered by a strange green leaf and boasts its own unique aroma.

"How does it look?" She asks.

"Hard to say." I bite my lip, pretending to consider. "Were you always covered in scales?"

She gasps and grapples madly at her back, yelping at the movement.

"I'm kidding!" I laugh, pushing her hands away. I settle back down against the cushions so that we are sitting side by side, leaning up against one another.