Chapter 24

"Kay, you need to sit still or I'm not going to be able to bandage this."

"It's fine. I told you I'm fine." I slap Jules' prying hands away, wincing when the movement pulls my shoulder. "I need to see Meg."

"As I've already said, she's in surgery and then she's going to need rest. You won't be able to see her for a while." Jules sighs with exasperation as she ties back her long, dark hair. Her normally sunny face is pinched with worry, resulting in a nearly uncanny resemblance to her brother.

"How is she doing?" I reluctantly allow her to swab the cuts on my face with alcohol, wrinkling my nose and shutting my eyes against the sting.

She doesn't answer immediately, instead cupping my chin in her hands as she turns my head this way and that.

"Jules." I demand.

"She has lost a lot of blood." She responds. "I don't know, Kay. What do you want me to say? She's alive. She's getting the best care we can offer. We don't know what's going to happen." Her voice trembles slightly as she turns away from me to grab a needle and thread. I watch her movements, feeling immediately guilty for snapping at her. Of course Jules is just as worried about Meg as I am. Everyone is. Without our Queen...

I shake my head. I can't think about that possibility. Not yet.

Jules sterilizes the needle and gently tugs my arm towards her, tutting as she turns it over and reveals the ugly gash left by Snake's spear. I watch her movements in an effort to distract myself, gritting my teeth and focusing on the pain as she makes neat little stitches along the cut. Technically, Jules is still training to be a full time physician and shouldn't be operating unsupervised, but she was the only one I allowed close enough to tend to my injuries. Any protestations from the infirmary staff were met by curses and thrown objects until they finally left us alone in one of the curtained-off beds.

"Where's your brother?" I ask, for the millionth time.

"I've been here with you, Kay, how could I possibly have any new information? If you ask me once more where Will is this needle may accidently end up in your eye." Her hands are rock steady despite the exasperation in her tone.

She pulls the final stitch tight and I cuss, shooting her a dirty look.

"Don't be such a baby." She cuts the end of the thread off efficiently. "If you can handle a waxing, you should be able to bear a little stitch up."

"You may want to work on that bedside manner, doctor."

She smirks but the action doesn't meet her eyes. "Most of my patients aren't quite so difficult."

"But look at the variety of injuries I give you to practice with." I gesture vaguely to my battered face and body. "You should be appreciative."

"It is sweet that you want to support me in my training, but it doesn't mean you have to go to such lengths." She begins cleaning up my scraped knuckles, a little more gently this time.

We lapse into silence, each adrift in our own thoughts as she works. After a time there is a rustling on the other side of the curtain. Jules frowns slightly before straightening and ducking through, leaving me alone on the bed, stuck with my bad leg propped up on a pillow. There is a quiet murmur of voices and I strain to listen for the sound of Will's voice. I am just about to attempt standing and seeing for myself when Jules pushes the curtain aside, revealing Luca.

My heart drops slightly in disappointment but I keep my face impassive, offering him a cursory nod.

"How do you feel?" He asks, remaining at a respectful distance as Jules returns to cleaning my hands.