Chapter 43

All right, here we go.

Will makes his move first, exiting the top Irrigation level calmly through the hatch door and disappearing into the darkened staircase beyond. Once he's gone I make a few more laps of the platform surrounding the giant drill with Gus before he slips away as well.

I take one last cursory glance of floor, mentally cataloguing the alertness of the remaining Enforcers. Many of the men appear bored, lounging against the walls or talking in groups. A couple of the more ambitious fellows stroll back and forth but most everyone seems to have settled in for a long night shift.

If we do our job correctly, tomorrow morning the next crew will arrive for their turn at guardship and not one of them will have any idea that they are suddenly short a dozen prisoners.

I keep my head ducked low as I stride over to the stairwell, pushing it open and stepping through in one smooth motion. Will is waiting around the corner to push the door closed and spin the lock into place, effectively keeping the Enforcers secured on their side of the heavy metal hatch.

"Let's go." He whispers, inclining his head towards the staircase. Gus and I fall into step behind him, our breaths slightly ragged as we descend.

Will's broad shoulders fill the narrow passageway ahead of us. His steps are sure and deliberate as he leads us down three levels, pausing outside the last door, his expression grim.

"They're through here." He says. Gus wipes his palms on the fabric of his Enforcer uniform, nodding nervously.

I release a shaky breath through my teeth, steeling myself. This is it. It is time to execute the most unknown part of the plan. Will has made only brief trips down to these lower levels, enough to locate our people. He estimates a half dozen Enforcers guarding each floor, each of them armed with a sword and a whip.

The idea is to walk in, locate our friends, communicate our intent to them, unlock their chains and escort them to the hatch door. All without being seen by the six Enforcers whose sole job is to prevent mishaps exactly like this.

Stealth isn't the right word for what we are about to attempt; invisibility might be more appropriate.

"Do you have the keys?" Will asks, full-well knowing the answer. I hold up the tarnished instruments, quirking a half-grin at him in response. That seems to bolster his confidence somewhat and he nods once, spinning the wheel barring the hatch door and shoving it open.

The smell is the first thing I notice. A putrid stench of hundreds of unwashed bodies, all gathered together in this hole deep beneath the Earth's surface. I fight the urge to gag and instead step forward, sticking close to Will's heels while Gus stays behind to guard the door.

As my eyes gradually grow accustomed to the darkness I am able to make out the dim outlines of the people toiling around us. They are hunched over, various tools clutched in trembling hands as they shuffle along, dragging the heavy chains cinched tightly around their ankles. Tears pinprick behind my eyelashes while we weave through the crowd. I try to focus on Will's back as he carves us a path, deliberately ignoring the hateful, pointed looks being flung in our direction. I keep my eyes averted and my head ducked low, mindful of the expression on my face and terrified of giving myself away.

There is an almighty crack followed by an ear-splitting shriek and I jump, colliding solidly with Will who catches hold of my arm.

I whip my head around in all directions, my eyes stretched wide as I search for the source of the sound. Will's grip on my arm tightens, his hands digging into my flesh in warning, bruising the skin and demanding my attention. I know that I should look at him, I know that I have to get a hold of myself but my mind refuses to cooperate. Desperation hums through my veins and clouds my mind. The only thing I can comprehend is the overwhelming amount of bloodied, broken bodies and the accompanying eyes staring helplessly back at me.